Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,Well, i've exhausted all the regular medications for IBS, and none help so my gastro has put on a very low dose of amitriptyline (10mg anti-depressant that calms the guts down).I'll let you know how i get on...so far it's making me drowsy but it did put a stop to the 5 days of D i had last week. I think that's a positive sign
It'd be so great if it works!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Sparkle - My GP offered me a low dose of the same thing (I think - it sounded like that!!) At the moment I still can't decide what to do.Let us know how it goes - hopefully it'll workGood luck with it anywayLiz xxx

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's making me feel a little weird, but for the last 3 days i've only had to go to the toilet once a day!!!I haven't had any kind of 'normal' BM's for about 6 years so this is heaven!It is making me tired and a bit light headed, and by the end of every day i'm very very bloated but i'm hoping this will pass.The pain has decreased quite a lot, and so have the feelings of urgency so i think it's working.It's early days, but this is the best i've coped with my IBS for ages. I even managed to go out for the whole day without relying on other meds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Woohoo! Go Sparkle!Hey.. the light headness can sometimes be fun if you don't have anything important to do and can lie around on the couch all day.
Just think - some people have to drink to get that feeling and all you have to do is pop a prescription pill.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*hehe* I like your thinking angylroses!Well, I've been on the new drugs for 2 weeks now so i thought i'd post an update just for those of you who are in the same 'no-other-medicine-works' boat as me.The first week was great, appart from the bloating (worse towards the night time), and this week has been okay but not as good
The pain levels are still manageable, which is great, and the bloating isn't as severe but i'm not feeling as good as i was when i first started taking it, although the side effects are lessening.Having said that, although i'm not feeling as fab as i first was, and in the last few days i'm back to having to go to the bathroom a bit more often, im still feeling better than i was before i began taking it.I'd say to any of you who want to try it, go for it. I was afraid to try anything new, especially when the drug sounds so scary, but it really does seem to help a bit.xxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts