Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a lot of problems for diarrhoea, but it's been really bad the past few months and I've been seeing my GP quite a lot about it. I gave a stool sample for analysis, which was watery and yellow, with pieces of undigested food in it, but the lab have returned their verdict on it and apparently it was completely normal. My GP now believes I have a mental health problem and I believe I am having diarrhoea, but that I am not actually having diarrhoea. I have been referred to the mental health team for treatment. They are getting very cross that I am still claiming to have diarrhoea, as they believe that I now understand that the diarrhoea is not real. They feel I am now making it up deliberately.If I have to hold it I get very bad pains until I find a toilet. This commonly happens when I am driving home from work alone with no witnesses. I have even soiled myself in public places on occasion, but as I am quite socially isolated I tend to be out alone with no witnesses. I have also had copious diarrhoea at home which has blocked up the toilet, but I live alone and no one has witnessed this. I find it hard to believe that I have really hallucinated all these incidents because I have never experienced any other types of hallucinations. I don't even believe a condition exists which causes you to hallucinate diarrhoea.I also have ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which some doctors believe is where you believe so strongly that you will feel tired, that you actually feel tired. I feel that my GP is classing my diarrhoea as an extension of this.Short of taking a dump in my doctor's office, I don't know how to convince anyone that the diarrhoea is actually real. And besides, I fear the connotations that would be attached to such an action.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i say, find a new dr..........b as descriptive as u can manage............when a dr doesn't believe the patient cause the stupid lab tests come up negative, doesn't mean there isn't something wrong.............& chronic fatigue is not imaginary............it took me over 6yrs, & 6 drs to find a dr who would believe me about how i felt...........it wasn't only ibs-d, there were many other symptoms..........most lab tests only touch the surface...........there r many other tests that a really good dr can do if he/she has an imagination & just cause they can't find anything wrong, just means they haven't looked in the right place..............it can b exhausting trying to get someone to listen to u about ur health issues............i was at the end of my rope, when i found the one i have now...........when drs can't find anything wrong, they always say it's in ur head, it lets them off the hook & makes it ur problem alone..........sucks badly, but a fact none the less............also, if u have undigested food coming out the other end, that means u rn't completely breaking down ur food & that is a fact.........digestion starts in the mouth, on down.........i'd look into the stomach first & find out how to improve ur digestive juices.......hope u get the help u need...........

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I also would urge to find another Dr. Patient trust is something a Dr should build... not breakdown. You deserve better!

·
Registered
46 Posts
So sorry to hear of your struggles to feel heard, Caterpillar. I suspect a lot of us have felt this to one degree or another.Might I make a suggestion? I know this is gross, but hey, we're here to talk about this stuff, right? If you have a digital camera or a cell phone with a camera, why not photograph your D? If you are keeping a food diary (I assume you are? if not, you should), then you could say okay on Monday I ate X and on Tuesday my D looked like this. I don't know how the people on the mental health team would react (probably not well), but your GI doctor should have no problem with this. GI doctors' careers are basically all about poop anyway. Alternatively, if they really don't believe you, then you might request to be admitted to the hospital for several days of observation. Then they'll be able to see directly that you are having these problems and not making them up. As uncomfortable as these options may be, to me they would be preferable to having people tell me I was making stuff up. Best of luck with it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow. I've seen a lot of doctors for IBS, but not one of them has ever suggested that my diarrhea wasn't real. That's - disturbing. Any decent doctor can tell you that there's no sure way to test for IBS; you can't "prove" you have it the way you can with, say, diabetes. Diagnosis for IBS is a process of elimination. I would say get a new doctor straight away. Make sure you get one that takes your complaints seriously.Additionally, no doctor worth his/her salt would ever say that CFS is imaginary, either. It's poorly understood (like IBS), but it's not something fabricated by the patient.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I could not change GP because where I live is quite remote and I only fall into the catchment area of this one surgery. I have seen two other GPs in the same surgery when there was a long wait to see my usual GP. One of them shouted at me until I cried, I will not be seeing that one again! The other one was quite sympathetic until she looked at my notes and then said I was trying to go behind my usual GP's back by seeing her instead and said I should go now and make an appointment with him instead. Even if I could find another doctor my notes would follow me anyway.I did keep a food diary for a while, but I have lapsed. Starting it up again along with photographs sounds the most sensible option. I don't think I'll show the photos to the mental health team :lol:I am having some benefits from re-starting a gluten free diet that I have found very beneficial in the past. My GP is very unhappy about this, but I am going to carry on with it anyway. It certainly seems to be staving off the worst of it and I am now getting much more warning and it is less watery. I plan also to try the calcium, but I want to wait until the benefits of the gluten free level off so I can tell what additional benefits the calcium brings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I hope my doctors never ever read this one! What do you call the guy that got D's all through med school? . . . . You call him/her doctor. Honestly, if a doctor said that to me I would tell them off. I might even bring in a bag of my s**t and leave it at the reception desk with a thank you note for being so understanding when I cannot leave the house/bathroom. I have absolutely ZERO tolerance for this kind of attitude. WE ARE THEIR clients. WE PAY THEM - a lot I might add. Leave to take your business to another doctor. You deserve a partner in good health not someone to beat you when you're down. I feel so bad for you I want to give you a HUG ( x ). You HAVE a condition. I do not even buy the IBS-D thing since it is a "rule-out" diagnosis meaning "well, we really don't know". If you were to ask me, it is one of the following or any combination:1. Food sensitivity - or intolerance to genetically modified grains or wheat or dairy or sugar2. Motility disorder or loss of the housekeeper wave3. Enzyme deficiency4. Vitamin deficiency (D, Calcium, minerals)5. Tricky pathogen or parasite6. Bacterial overgrowth7. Flora upset8. Gut nerve issues or brain/gut connection (Not depression)9. Lack of Fiber10. Rx drug reactionGet a new doctor and do not ever look back. I would let this doctor know of her horrible treatment. Please do not go back to this person. JMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trudyg- Your comment made me laugh! But, how true. I would also leave this DR a surprise bag of fun as Hester suggested. Everyone needs to stand up for themselves with ANY medical condition. Especially those conditions that don't make the Pharm Co's lots of $$$$ ( like IBS since there are no drugs to push for it.) We get little help due to this this. Just my opinion after having IBS for over 20 years. Good luck to everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.