Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Its been a while since i been here 4 preg - (2 miscarraiges) and 2 kids kinda put IBS out of my system for a while - i had heard it could do that but in reality turned IBS-d into IBS-C: but to get back to the reason i'm writing is that i rmember that when i read these blogs once there was some info on long term usage of Immodium in realation to controlling IBS-D. Is there any real problem as using this as a pre-ventative? Save any embarrising events and i do admitt i have done this a few times when i have had acouple of bad days and i'm going out but was wondering if it is bad for me? - and there is no more worries about being preg as i'm done with that! And i will admit (sorry guys) but it does fluctualte in severness over the monthly cycle so i wouldn't need Immodium everyday. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
At normal doses it doesn't seem to do any harm as long as you don't take enough to constipate you, so it helps to start with a low dose then work up to the dose you need that start high.Some people with daily diarrhea take it every day with years and it seems to be fairly harmless. There can be opiate addicts who take extreme doses where it is a problem, but that doesn't seem to be the average IBSer (if you are taking it a bulk box all at once that is what can get into trouble and need professional help to detox off it, but really that takes doing a huge number of pills at a time).If you really only need it for a week or so around your period that would even make it safer as a day or two of a drug holiday and it is out of your system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.