Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the last few weeks I have been taking 1/2 - 1 chewable Immodium tablet everyday.So what's the verdict... Is it safe to take this everyday??? I have heard both yes and no and would like your opinion!Thanks!Marnie

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My doctor also said it was safe. But he also told me it's a good idea to not take it on days that I'm either going to be home, or don't seem to be having any problems. When I go on vacation I'll take it every day and it's never been a problem. Right now I probably take it 4 days out of the week.Jennifer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My doctor also said it was safe. But he also told me it's a good idea to not take it on days that I'm either going to be home, or don't seem to be having any problems. When I go on vacation I'll take it every day and it's never been a problem. Right now I probably take it 4 days out of the week.Jennifer

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The recent review article on IBS in the New England Journal of Medicine indicated that taking Imodium (up to like 4 a day I think the dose was) is a reasonable treatment for diarrhea prone IBS.Like all things it can be a good idea to find the lowest dose that works for you but as treatments go this one is relatively harmless regardless of most of the scare stories.It does interact with opiod receptors in the gut and a very very very small amount gets into the body. One opiate addict is reported to have found that taking 160 at a time was the dose needed to get buzzed. Needed detox, but survived that kind of dosing (I hate to think of what the laxative usage may have been to counteract the severe constipation that would cause). So the difference between effective and overtly lethal seems to be really big.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The recent review article on IBS in the New England Journal of Medicine indicated that taking Imodium (up to like 4 a day I think the dose was) is a reasonable treatment for diarrhea prone IBS.Like all things it can be a good idea to find the lowest dose that works for you but as treatments go this one is relatively harmless regardless of most of the scare stories.It does interact with opiod receptors in the gut and a very very very small amount gets into the body. One opiate addict is reported to have found that taking 160 at a time was the dose needed to get buzzed. Needed detox, but survived that kind of dosing (I hate to think of what the laxative usage may have been to counteract the severe constipation that would cause). So the difference between effective and overtly lethal seems to be really big.K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.