Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have seen three Gastro's in the past five years and they all suggest Immodium for my IBS-D. I don't know much about Pepto, excpet personally, it stops me up for days. [This message has been edited by JenS (edited 06-13-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have IBS D with the occasional C just to keep me really happy
I have noticed that while many of us use Immodium, I have better luck with Pepto Bismol (also helps with the nausea which I have been known to get). My question is this:Is there a problem with taking either of these long-term? I've heard that Immodium can be taken safely over time, although your body may need more to keep the d away. I haven't heard anything about Pepto in terms of that. Just wondering if anyone can help out in terms of that. Thanks a bunch.Kathy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jen, my GI doctor also said take Immodium. In fact, he basically said I can take it safely for an indefinite period of time. I'm actually about to call his office for another reason, but I might ask about this as well. Both Immodium and Pepto stop me up, so that's also a problem. Just need to find balance!Kathy

·
Registered
538 Posts
HI. I think pepto bismol is just as useful as imodium. My first choice is imodium but if I am having a serious D attack, I take pepto bismol because my doctor says it absorbs the bad bacteria and sends it out. I like to coat my stomach with pepto when I travel to other countries like MEXICO.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have taken imodium for over 10 years before I went on Lotronex. the only problem I had with it as the longer I used it the less effective it was and the more I had to take. I have tried Pepto but with no luck. I right now am using up the rest of my Lotronex taking only one a day and getting along just fimeTaffy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am IBS-D. I had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago, and they actually prescribed Pepto for my recovery along with Levsin for the IBS itself. I have been taking Pepto ever since. They told me there is an ingredient in the Pepto that actually heals the open sores (ulcers) that are in your intestines when you have a bad IBS day. Immodium seems to be too harsh for me... Yeah, it takes away the D- but can leave you with C. With Pepto, I take 2 chewable tabs after an iffy meal or when I feel D coming on. Then I take 2 more tabs every half hour or as the D reoccurs. Within about 2-4 doses, it is usually under control. So with Pepto, you will probably go through more than the Immodium- but I don't like going from D straight to C.This is a decision you may have to figure out on your own, it can be different for everyone. Try Pepto first, and if that isn't giving you enough relief- switch to Immodium or Immodium Advanced.Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's good to hear the different responses. I called my GI doctor - he wasn't available so I spoke to his nurse. She said that pepto is just as "safe" as Immodium in the sense that there shouldn't be long-term effects from taking it on a regular basis. Immodium does lead to C for me, so I am going to use Pepto until I find that that no longer works. Trial and error. I also bought ginger root capsules last night, so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Dr. Andrew Weil...I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of taking Pepto Bismol on a long-term basis because it is a salicylate and these chemicals can be toxic. They also can cause allergic reactions in sensitive people, something I'm sure you wouldn't want to develop on an extended trip. I do take acidophilus with meals when I travel in underdeveloped countries, and you're right, heat can damage those friendly bacteria . Always check the expiration date on acidophilus products and try to protect your supply from overheating. Instead of taking medication prophylactically, be on the lookout for trouble. At the first sign -- usually sulfurous-tasting burps -- stop eating entirely. Drink peppermint or chamomile tea and use a little Imodium, which is safe and I believe is the best over-the-counter remedy for diarrhea or diarrhea with cramps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.