Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started getting Immodium, it was a prescription and then went over the counter.My doctor still prescribes it in a capsule form and that's only by prescription. Same medication, but much, much cheaper. Didn't know if you all knew that or not.Nanci

G

·
Nanci - that is interesting about the imodium prescription -- that would be much less expensive. I will definitely ask my Dr. about that.I have been taking 1-2 imodium (along with Caltrate/purple box) every day in the morning ever since my lotronex ran out (sadly, last December). Do you or anyone else out there know if there are any adverse effects from taking imodium on a long-term daily basis? My Dr. said there were none, but I thought I had read somewhere that there were negative side effects...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A study of long-term use in IBSers didn't turn up any problems.Additionally some guy was taking like 160 pills a day (if you take enough it can interact with opiod receptors outside the GI tract and this guy was an opiate addict) and they needed to bring him down with methadone, but that he survived that amount of Imodium I think says something about it relative lack of toxicity (Personally I can't imagine the constipation that would cause would be worth the high....but that's me)At normal doses there is no addiction risk.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have taken Imodium for over 12 years. In fact I started taking it when it became over the counter medication. I have suffered several different stages to my IBS for all my life. I'm 65 now and in the worsed phase of IBSD. I was on Lotronex all last year till they pulled it off and then it was back to the imodium. WhatI have experienced with Imodium is that it has been taking more to stop the "D" then when I first started taking it. But that could be because my IBS has gotten worse. I had Lotronex left over after they pulled it and I saved it to use for a trip. I have decided that I want to enjoy the summer so started to take it again at 1 pill a day with my Dr's permission. I figured if I save it too long the efectiveness of it may dwindle. The expiration date on my last unopened bottle says Dec 2001. All my friends are praying that they bring the Lotronex back because then I can enjoying doing things with my friends. I'm a widow and I would like to enjoy the remaining years I have left. Gets pretty discouraging to have to stay home alot. Imodium helped some but I still had accidents while on it at the least expected time (like in a resturant). Taffy

·
Registered
216 Posts
My G.I. doctor gave me a prescription for Immodium after Lotronex was pulled. I am so grateful for it because otherwise it would be too expensive. It is a good thing to ask your doctor for because it's not as good as Lotronex but it is better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi everyone...are you referring to reg. Immodium or Advanced Immodium (for Gas). When taking either, do you still experience major bloating , pain and Gas. I usually empty out in the morn , take either Lomotil or immodium advanced and then in the evening the other symptoms occur.Just curious!------------------Health to all!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bkrubba,I meant the regular Immodium. When I have run out of my prescription and bought it at the store, I think I didn't try the Advanced because I didn't get as many pills and I don't have much trouble with bloating. I do have the gas. I think regular is the only way to get it by prescription. It has to be written for the capsule form. It's the same medication, it just got very expensive when it went over the counter. My doctor has me on Allegra and it does help some. Now it's probably going OTC too. I hope I can afford it! Nanci

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Bkrubba,Yes Allegra is a antihistamine. My gastro doctor tried to explain to me why it might work but doesn't make any sense to me. I have seen some things written about antihistamines also. I take 180 mg. in the morning. Right now, it's a prescription but I think its going over the counter. On an everyday basis, it has helped. Bentyl did nothing for me. I also took Librox and then Donnatal Extend tab (the extend part is important, I guess there's a regular Donnatal that's not as strong) I have much better luck with the Allegra then any of those. You have to give it some time though, it took about 10 days for it to kick in for me. I only kept taking it bacause I had to go back in a month and I didn't want to tell him that I had quit taking it. So I certainly did not think it was going to work. I really think it would be worth a try. However, I'm checking with my doctor now on Zofran, my insurance will pay for it if that's how its written. Most of the people who have tried it here did well didn't they? Anybody??Nanci

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.