Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a rough morning to say the least. Yesterday was an "Imodium Day" for me, so I wasn't supposed to have a BM at all. But for some reason, after dinner, I did. It wasn't D, it was pretty normal, but I was still shaken. I felt like my best friend just stabbed me in the back or something, lol. But you know, no big, I took two more Imodium, hoping that my situation was just a one time thing. However, later that night at about 10:30 or 11ish, my stomach started to hurt pretty bad, like I was gonna get D but it just came out as gas. I wanted to stay up and wait to see if it turned into D, because that is what has happened before. I was exhausted, however, and hoped and prayed that my Imodium would take care of it. However, this morning, I woke up at 5:30, half an hour before I usually get up, to the same D pains as last night. Again, at first it was just gas, then it turned to a somewhat normal BM, to D, all in one half hour. I spent the next 45 minutes on the toilet, debating whether I should risk going to school. Ultimately I decided that I'll go to school, just an hour or so late. So that's what brings me here now. Anyone have any ideas why Imodium betrayed me so? Imodium has never failed me, but all the sudden all these crazy things happen within 12 hours! My best bet is that when my stomach was hurting last night around 11, I did have to go again, but I went to bed before I was able to see and go if I needed. My body blocked out the pain until 5:30 when I woke from a dream, and then the leftovers from last night came out then. But still, wouldn't Imodium block at least some of it? I'm so confused and betrayed and scared that my body has developed an immunity to it or something. Thanks for listening, and please post any advice or stories or anything that you can.
-Caitlin

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
HI, I got imune to IModium years ago. I was taking it at least 3 times a week. Sometimes more. I have a D attack in the middle of a store and all heck broke loose. I have not trusted Imodium since. I take Lomotil, it works pretty good for me. I hate taking it everyday and cannot cause it really messes me up. I plan my days around it. If I take it for say 2-3 days in a row if we are busy then I plan on staying home for 2 days and not take it. There has been a few times that I took it and still went. Ususally it take 2 hours to work but like I siad the past few months I have had 3 times where I took it and still went after about 3 hours. SO nothing is 100% darn it.Good lucktake careKat

·
Registered
343 Posts
Don't forget that IBS is not the be all of Stomach Problems - You may well have had Food Poisoning and you could have interpreted it as IBS.You seem to forget that other stomach probs do occur when you have IBS and it could be as simple as that - When I say You, I mean all of us

·
Registered
38 Posts
I take my imodium once i've finished my 3 or more BMs a day. I usually have 3 BMs a day but sometimes when I eat the foods that make my ibs worse it takes more. And when I have finished my BMs and take 1 imodium a day I'm D free for the day but I dont take it everyday cause it makes me constipated. I still trust my imodium. Maybe it just doesn't work for everybody maybe you should try another drug like lomotil.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If you have food poisening you throw up. One day I had D 30 times in about 15 hours. I called ER and asked if I could have food poisening. She siad NO that if I did I would be throwing up too. I had to go in for an emergancy colonoscopy. They found nothing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
quote:If you have food poisoning you throw up
Not necessarily - D can get rid of it quite quickly, and also if you are taking various medications it can counter act against the throwing up.I used to work in Casualty and Operating Theatres and it is a bit of a fallacy that you always throw up - It depends if the D can get rid of it first

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.