Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as a lot of people here, I often wake up and can "tell" if it's going to be one of those mornings... if I have to go to school or something, I will often go a little, but it's just loose/soft, so I often take an Imodium or two. I'm just wondering if a lot of people do that... or if they wait until they have proper D?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I take 1 Imodium every day as soon as i wake up, plus I am taking 1/2 Imodium before bedtime and one and a half calcium tablets daily and that gives me one reasonably formed bm a day, some days are looser than other though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I used to take 2 every morning as soon as I woke up. I always had a really bad time in the mornings and knew that they'd start to kick in when I got to work. Sometimes it was loose but not water and I could just go and go for hours so I did take them in that case as well.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I take them daily otherwise I will spend most of my day in the bathroom.Sometimes prevention is better than cure.Metaphorically speaking of course!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies! Glad to hear this - it just sort of struck me yesterday whether it was "okay" as such to do that... I always try and have something fibre-ish when I get home later in the day, such as cereal, to kinda balance it out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't take imodium on a daily basis, but if I get that sense that it's going to be a bad day, I take one (unless I'm going to be home the rest of the day, then I just let it run its course). I also premedicate myself (even if I'm feeling perfectly fine) if I'm eating strange foods or am going somewhere where going to the bathroom would be inconvient - Long car trips, large family outings, amusement parks, hiking, etc. I've found it helps and it makes me feel more at ease while I'm out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first post on here for a few years! Pretty much coping with the condition and certainly resigned to it. I use Loperamide (Immodium) on a regular basis. I tend to use it for "special occasions". It is the one medication or treatment that make the biggest difference for me.If I have to attend a lunch, dinner or a conference where I know food is provided, or going to an evening out or a party I pop a couple at least an hour in advance. If I am travelling I take it every day. I have permanent Holiday Tummy at home so need the extra help when exposed to different food. My gut spasms at the sight of an airport.In general it works very well and to an extent takes away most of the anxiety (in my head) which no doubt contributes to the condition. It doesnt always work but it has made a big difference.I am in the UK. My GP prescribes it without question (maybe he should) and I have a growing stock from repeat prescriptions as I can't use it fast enough! It is much cheaper getting the generic Loperamide. Immodium is very expensive.As far as I know (correct me if i am wrong) there are no side effects from long term use . It makes a nice change to pass a thin sausage instead of the usual splatter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts