Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never took Imodium before but would like to try it. I just have a couple questions about it and would like some users answers instead of the Imodium website answers.1- How long does it take before it starts to work, instantly, a couple doses..ect ?2- How long does it last, 1 hour, 2 hours...ect ?3- Which is better Imodium A-D or Advanced ?4- I assume it's not heathly to take it everyday, is this true?5- 1 more thing, will it make the C worse?Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are you IBS C or D? I am D. I take 1 Imodium A-D in the AM, one at bedtime. 2 Caltrate + D with breakfast.I have been D free for 6 days. It took 2 days to see a difference. The Imodium makes me have dry mouth, but heck, I'm not in the bathroom 15 times a day!Gram

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm D and C. Mostly D though. I'm going on vacation for a week, so i want to try something safe for that week. I dont wanna get stuck having an attack.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
quote:- How long does it take before it starts to work, instantly, a couple doses..ect ?
For me, it takes about 20 minutes.
quote:2- How long does it last, 1 hour, 2 hours...ect ?
Rest of the day, for me.
quote:3- Which is better Imodium A-D or Advanced ?
Never tried Advanced, sorry.
quote:4- I assume it's not heathly to take it everyday, is this true?
Apparently it's fine to take every day.
quote:5- 1 more thing, will it make the C worse?
If you take too much, yes. If you're an alternating D & C type, I'd suggest taking a small dose of imodium to start with, say 1 capsule, and see where you go from there.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
quote: 1- How long does it take before it starts to work, instantly, a couple doses..ect ?
Like Susan, about 20 minutes. Depending how bad the D is, sometimes I have to take more. I try to take the smallest effective dose, unless I'm in a situation where there is NO way to go to the bathroom, then I load up and face the consequences if I took too much.
quote: 2- How long does it last, 1 hour, 2 hours...ect ?
Depends on how much I take. I'd say 8-12 hours.
quote:3- Which is better Imodium A-D or Advanced ?
I've never taken Advanced. I think it just has an anti-gas ingredient along with the loperamide (sp?). I take store-brand "Imodium" which doesn't have an advanced version. It's cheaper and just as effective. Walmart usually has the best price of the stores I shop at.
quote: 4- I assume it's not heathly to take it everyday, is this true?
My old GI doc is the only one I've heard say it's not. Countless people on here have shown that it apparently is, and some are prescribed a low dose by their dr to help control it. You can build up a tolerance to Imodium, so I would suggest not taking more than you need. Plus there is the awful Imodium rebound if you take it when you don't need it. More on that later.
quote: 5- 1 more thing, will it make the C worse?
Imodium is to treat D, not C, and I think it works by slowing/stopping the motility of your gut. So yes, it would probably make C much worse.Now, about that Imodium rebound I mentioned. Others on here have mentioned they get this too. When I take enough Imodium that it stops me up good, often I'll get a rebound attack the next day when it wears off. I get worse cramping than I usually do when it's not a rebound thing. Then when I finally start going, first it's solid (from when the imodium was acting on my intestines) and that stuff shoots out, reopening or aggravating my fissure. It's solid poop that comes out with the force of non-so-solid poop because guess what's behind it? A cramping, spasming intestine and soft poop! So soft is next, then eventually it's just liquid. I hate those rebound attacks. A normal attack is much less unpleasant for me. I've found that Imodium is most effective and I'm the most comfortable if I wait to take it until the first wave of D comes out. If I don't wait and just take the imodium, it hurts. If I wait, I'm fine. Anyhow, I take the smallest dose I can to stop the D for the next few hours at least. I have IBS-D. If you alternate between C and D, you will be far more susceptible to rebound attacks, I think. And if you're C, it's not the drug for you. If you can tell us a lttle more about yor symptoms, we may be able to help more

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
HiI alternate between D and C and also use immodium. It will make C worse so I never take it when I'm in a C state. But I do take it when I'm having D or even sometimes when I'm in a situation where I just want to be sure. I can even take it daily (1 or 2) and still be OK and not get too C. Just be careful. your questions:1- How long does it take before it starts to work, instantly, a couple doses..ect ? If I take it right away (as soon as I feel crampy or even as a preventative) within 20 minutes or so. Otherwise, it takes longer2- How long does it last, 1 hour, 2 hours...ect ?If it works, all dat3- Which is better Imodium A-D or Advanced ?The only difference is that advanced has simtheicone for gas. I never noticed a difference when I tried it so don't bother cause it's more expensive.4- I assume it's not heathly to take it everyday, is this true?yes. everything I've read and been told by my doctors. some people take it daily and are OK.5- 1 more thing, will it make the C worse?see aboveFYI, if you live near a wal-mart, they now have a generic available in the small size tablets and in a bottle rather than blister packs. much, much cheaper than regular or even other genericsnancy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.