Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I have been getting urgent dioreha more often than before, normally whilst I am out shopping. I think it's becasue I am stressed with crowds. My question is, is it safe for me to take imodium, like every weekend when I go shopping just as a precourtion? Do you think this will cover me? can the body build up a tollerence to Imodium?How often am I safe to take this?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was diagnosed with IBS 1 1/2 years ago. For the past 7 months I have taken Imodium almost every day. I called an pharmacist and he told me it is not harmful (some people take as a prescription every day). It works fast and sometimes I even take it for severe intestinal cramping without diarrhea! Good luck!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Does it help with tummy spasms? I am so sick of peppermint and altoids and librax. Well, I take the librax 30 minutes before meals and not when I am having an attack. I guzzle Pepto in an effort to sooth my stomach but the spasms are painful when things get exciting down there. I'm thinking immodium is 10x better for diarreha but have worried about the long-term use of it. Thankfully through this board I have learned that it's not totally unsafe to take on a regular basis if I need it. I'm thinking if I'm having a bad stomach day and want to go Christmas shopping or down to my grandmothers that immodium may get me through it. Anxiety wise anyway, LOL.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yes, it is safe to take Immodium everyday. I have been taking 2 capsules everyday since April. I find that it works wonderfully. I have a prescription for Loperamide. This way it is cheaper than over the counter. You can take up to 8 per day, everyday. I would never recommend this , but thats what it says on the bottle. It is very hard to build a tolerance to it. It is A LOT healthier than taking Librax thats for sure. Librax contains sedatives and could be addictive.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I've been taking Immodium regularly now for 4 years. Recently I've been taking 4 a day, plus my calcium and I've been having regular bowel movements for a month. Took me awhile to find my happy medium! I take it as a preventive, and my doctor told me that was fine.It's always good to check with your doctor though, even after reading it was okay on the boards, I felt better knowing my doctor gave me thumbs up to take it daily! I get mine from Costco, I get 196 for $10. That lasts me a few months, I'm so happy that I've found a way to control this without breaking the bank. Of course I still have an occasional attack, and I've found that's usually caused by over stressed or something I knew I shouldn't have ate (like pizza!). Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.