Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Just stumbled across this site via google and I'm amazed at just how much information there is about IBS and the issues we face. I have had struggled with IBS-D ever since I can remember and have never found an effective treatment. Like many others on here I take Imodium as a way to stop "the big D" when I really cannot avoid the meeting/journey and there is no toilet on standby for my 5 or 6 BMs every morning. However I find that when I take imodium, if I eat anything on the same day, I suffer terrible stomach cramps and spasms just below my rib cage on the right side of my torso. I have tried eating different foods, different amounts, different times etc but nothing is working. This pain has landed me in hospital many times it's so bad and I do not feel I have a low pain threshold as I was beginning to wonder if I was a wimp.I work in insurance and travel to 1 or 2 meetings a day involving a business lunch in between so if I take Imodium I am nearly doubled over in pain during the latter parts of my afternoon meeting. The only way round this is to not take imodium and hope there's a toilet but I am a little embarrassed to admit that this method has resulted in a few accidents. Has anyone else suffered this? If so what can I do to try to stop the pain or is there another way I can stop the need to go?Many thanks for listening and sorry for the long post.Steve

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You might try the Calcium Carbonate thing, it has to be done regularly, so isn't good for I just need it in a meeting when I'm nervous.Unfortunately for some part of how Imodium slows things down can make some people crampy.Have you tried taking peppermint or a prescription antispasmodic 20-30 minutes BEFORE you eat and see if that helps with the post eating cramps if Imodium is the only thing that works for the diarrhea.Have you ever tried Questran or low dose tricyclic antidepressants?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.