Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alcohol is said to work faster if you insert it rectally.If I do that with imodium will it work faster?My problem is that right now it takes up to 4 hours for imodium to have effect. So I am willing to try this option.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I have never heard of this nor would I recommend anyone use it this way. Try taking it preventatively with meals. Also have you tried taking Calcium Carbonate supplements??? Please see "Linda's Calcium" thread at the top of this forum for more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alcohol is said to work faster if you insert it rectally.If I do that with imodium will it work faster?My problem is that right now it takes up to 4 hours for imodium to have effect. So I am willing to try this option.
DO NOT TAKE RECTALLY!!! If medication is given in a suppository fashion, the dosage is also changed accordingly! Pathways for which a drug takes is different from the rectum than it is from the stomach, and absorpsion is much faster and more potent from the derrier. Be careful!!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DO NOT TAKE RECTALLY!!! If medication is given in a suppository fashion, the dosage is also changed accordingly! Pathways for which a drug takes is different from the rectum than it is from the stomach, and absorpsion is much faster and more potent from the derrier. Be careful!!!!
Thanks for the heads up. The dosage would indeed be hard to know but the faster absorbtion is the goal so that is only positive.I am not afraid of getting constipated as that has never happened to me even with eating imodium.Would be nice to know if anyone tried this and if it does work. I myself am a little interested in trying this as an experiment. I mean 1/4th tablet maybe would be ok?I am just a bit scared incase it has some other side effect taken rectally as opposed to taking it normally.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I am just a bit scared incase it has some other side effect taken rectally as opposed to taking it normally.
Well then dont't do it! Ask your Dr!

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's an oral medication, not rectal....whole different ball game.You are setting yourself up for what could be a nasty outcome.PLEASE don't try this!!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Just wondering if this wouldn't set you up for inflammation or something. Why in the world would you even think to put something unintended there? As if you don't have enough trouble already, you're asking for more?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I doubt the OP knows that a whole bunch of risks are happening. Or if s/he does. S/he just wants D to stop already. Doing anything even if risky to stop it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since everyone seems to feel so strongly against it I will not try it.I guess it could cause an inflation and make it even worse or something...Even thought I doubt it a little:)But someone must sometim have tested it. If that person would find this post and answer it would be great:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts