Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm 15 and am currently undergoing discomfort and was wondering if someone could confirm any fears I have and maybe offer a little advice.I'm in my summer holidays and have returned from a trip abroad earlier on in the week, I was away for about 4 days and during that time intook very much less liquid than I ususally would, I believe this has caused an impacted stool in my bowel as I have not visited the throne for about 7 days.Upon attempting to pass the stool, I find it impossible to actually get it out, I fear that I may tear tissue if I push any harder and have even attempted to coax it out by a little manipulation with my finger (don't worry, I wore gloves), although this didn't even seem to work.I have purchased some lactulose solution as I was informed that this was what I needed, as of a day of taking the medicine I have noticed no difference except a lot of wind.During the time this has been happening I have made sure to eat a lot of fruit, get a lot of water and still no joy.I am beginning to get worried (where is the food that I have been eating going?!) and if the medicine isn't working and my body isn't sorting it out itself, then what other option do I have? I would really like to get this over with, please please help!Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Maybe an enema? And if that doesn't work with a home one I might check with the doctor to see if it is time to get it taken care of by a medical professional.You can get enemas at the pharmacy.The osmotics help keep stool soft, but may not be able to get down to where the hard stool that won't pass is.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well what they have you use to clean out the rectum/ lower part of the GI tract for a sigmoidoscopy or other stuff that just effects the last part of the colon (I've done this for a few tests, I'm usually on the loose end so I don't need them for constipation).Fleet's is the one I've used for bowel cleaning preps. Basically you put a fluid in the rectum that tends to make what is in there loosened up some and makes you tend to have to go.http://www.drugs.com/PDR/Fleet_Enema.htmlhttp://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceuti...ographs/CPS-%20(General%20Monographs-%20F)/FLEET%20ENEMA.htmlFor some info on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have this prob quite a bit. I had one time where I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital I was breaking out in cold sweats and started to panic. I just pushed really hard and it eventually came out. The diameter must have been as round as a tennis ball.I did end up ripping tissue and bleeding a bit but it did feel better to be out of me. I have since been diagnosed with a fissure and now I make sure nothing stays in me more than a few days.Fissures are pure hell, I couldn't sit for days. I do remember one instance when I was 9 or 10 I've had stomach probs for as long as I could remember. This is somewhat gross but I went to a gastro doc and he took his gloved finger lubed it up with something like K-Y Jelly or Petroleum and stuck it in me that lubed me enough so I could go.This time with the fissure I was constipated and the doctor said it would hurt to go but said to minimize the pain and make things slippy he told me to use Lanacane cream, put a tiny bit on a Q-tip just a tiny bit inside, there are ingredients in the cream that numb so it wont hurt as much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some oral laxatives work by bringing water into the bowel, which will soften stools, however if you have impaction in your rectum and want rapid relief try either a Glycerine Suppository, which will soften and lubricate, or an oil enema (Arachis Oil are available in Pharmacies).If its bad see your doctor - you will probbaly be sent to the nurse who will have ways of dealing with this.....Then make sure you adjust your diet so it doesn't happen again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.