Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heather,I have been "eating for IBS" for about two and a half weeks now, and I'm not seeing much change in my symptoms. I've been exercising daily and eating almost nothing but soluble fiber. I'm still constipated and gassy...the C. might be a result of calcium supplements, but I do need calcium in my diet...What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi - Constipation can take a lot longer to resolve than diarrhea, but honestly you should be seeing results by now. I would eliminate the calcium supplements, at least temporarily to see how you do. They are constipating, and you should be able to get enough calcium from soy, leafy greens, and calcium fortified cereals. Your calcium requirements are also actually lower if you're not eating red meat and dairy, as these foods are associated with calcium and magnesium loss from the bones due to the amino acid balance of their proteins.Are you taking Citrucel twice a day or so, and drinking plenty of fresh water as well? Citrucel is less gassy than other fiber supplements, and it will normalize constipation. The soluble fiber foods will help too, but do make sure that you're incorporating insoluble fiber foods according to the guidelines. You need these for good health, and they will also help constipation. They have to be treated carefully (dice and cook your fruits and veggies, incorporate them with soluble fiber foods, etc.) but they definitely need to be included.I know patience is in short supply when you're not feeling well and waiting for results is very frustrating, but please try to hang in there just another week or two. All of your exercise and the diet changes should improve your situation very shortly.Please keep me posted.Best,Heather

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.