Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I'm in so much pain with trapped wind and i really would like some suggestions! If anyone could help i would be so grateful.I've had it for 3 days now. My doc told me last time this happened that i need to eat lots of bulk like pasta, rice, bread etc to push it all through but when i eat it all builds up and hurts more. He also suggested a medicine called Altacite Plus. That all seemed to work last time, but it's just not doing it this time.The pain goes right through from my front to my back. Does anyone else suffer from this?? I can't concentrate on anything because of the discomfort.Please help if you can.Thanks,Natalie

·
Registered
461 Posts
Are you and your doc sure that it is "trapped wind" that is causing your problem? This may sound stupid but frequently the sensations we experience in our guts can be decieving. We IBSers are prone to visceral hypersnsitivity and experience sensations in our guts that normal people may not perceive as pain.Whenever this happens to me, I take the opposite route that your doc suggests. I cut back on all foods and only eat small amounts of foods that I consider completely safe. I avoid rice because, for some reason, it makes my condition worse. I rely on yogurt (or kefir), high protein meal replacement drinks for nutrition, and I avoid anything that contains or will produce gas. Generally, I will settle back down after a few days of following this diet. I will be the first to admit that these can be a few very l-o-n-g days until you start to feel some relief.The Altacite Plus may help a little but it is only a non-prescription antacid with and anti-gas component. I don't think we have it in the US but we have similar preparations. I have never gotten much relief from them.You should seek more info from your doc on whether your current problem is really caused by trapped wind or, perhaps something else. In the meantine, hang in there. It will pass.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Are you and your doc sure that it is "trapped wind" that is causing your problem? This may sound stupid but frequently the sensations we experience in our guts can be decieving. We IBSers are prone to visceral hypersnsitivity and experience sensations in our guts that normal people may not perceive as pain.Whenever this happens to me, I take the opposite route that your doc suggests. I cut back on all foods and only eat small amounts of foods that I consider completely safe. I avoid rice because, for some reason, it makes my condition worse. I rely on yogurt (or kefir), high protein meal replacement drinks for nutrition, and I avoid anything that contains or will produce gas. Generally, I will settle back down after a few days of following this diet. I will be the first to admit that these can be a few very l-o-n-g days until you start to feel some relief.The Altacite Plus may help a little but it is only a non-prescription antacid with and anti-gas component. I don't think we have it in the US but we have similar preparations. I have never gotten much relief from them.You should seek more info from your doc on whether your current problem is really caused by trapped wind or, perhaps something else. In the meantine, hang in there. It will pass.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My local grocery store now carries 'kefir' - it doesn't have the yeasty fungi that true kefir has, but it does include 7 different species of bacteria ... better than just yogurt. Taste and consistency kinda like buttermilk.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My local grocery store now carries 'kefir' - it doesn't have the yeasty fungi that true kefir has, but it does include 7 different species of bacteria ... better than just yogurt. Taste and consistency kinda like buttermilk.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If I lie on my right side and massage my lower back it relaxes me so I can pass gas. I also do the same thing on the left side. Sometimes it works better if I lie on the floor. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If I lie on my right side and massage my lower back it relaxes me so I can pass gas. I also do the same thing on the left side. Sometimes it works better if I lie on the floor. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Natalie,Terrible. What works for me is Diovol... you can get it at a drug store. There are other Gas relieving things to take but I found Diovol works even when the gas is much after you ate.This might sound silly but the other thing.. Lay on your stomach on the floor for a bit... sometimes I do that .. read my book and it helps things.Hope you're feeling better soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Natalie,Terrible. What works for me is Diovol... you can get it at a drug store. There are other Gas relieving things to take but I found Diovol works even when the gas is much after you ate.This might sound silly but the other thing.. Lay on your stomach on the floor for a bit... sometimes I do that .. read my book and it helps things.Hope you're feeling better soon.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I personally think the standard advice you get to eat lots of "stodge" with IBS is bad advice.Try jrkatz advice and cut back the bread, pasta etc.You'll feel a lot better and have much less gas.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I personally think the standard advice you get to eat lots of "stodge" with IBS is bad advice.Try jrkatz advice and cut back the bread, pasta etc.You'll feel a lot better and have much less gas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all so much for your advice. I really appreciate it.I have indeed tried to eat less pasta and stodge since reading your posts and it seems to have eased slightly.It's quite amazing how much trapped wind can hurt!Thanks again,Natalie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all so much for your advice. I really appreciate it.I have indeed tried to eat less pasta and stodge since reading your posts and it seems to have eased slightly.It's quite amazing how much trapped wind can hurt!Thanks again,Natalie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.