Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems for the past year or so with a combination of constipation and diarhea, and terrible bloating/trapped gas. I've been doing better, because I've started to figure out my trigger foods. Dairy is the main one. I'm getting a test to check for lactose intolerance. I've had a ton of tests this summer...sonograms, upper GI, and a colonoscopy. Today I went for a follow up appointment with my GI doctor. He said everything looked normal. He said he doubts it's IBS and was very little help. Then he went on to tell me I'm overweight without even weighing me. He basically just sized me up. I'm 5'6" and weigh 148 pounds. I'm no twig, but I'm not fat. At least I didn't think I was. The doc's trying to tell me now that he thinks I may have a fatty liver, caused by minor obesity or a high intake of carbs. I don't even eat a ton of carbs. I don't get it, and I don't think he knows what he's talking about. I think it's IBS or lactose intolerance, or a combo of both. I just feel so lost and really down about my appearance now. :-(

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
((((JBird)))))Your do not fit the criteria for obesity according to a standard BMI calculator. I know that isn't the only way to determine someone's healthy weight.. but it *is* one way.Had your regular Doc ever told you that you had a weight problem? He "thinks" you have a fatty liver? Is there a way to find out for sure?What did he suggest you do to alleviate your symptoms? How about a dietician if he thought your diet wasn't good? Maybe they could help you tweak your diet a bit. Did he suggest one?
quote:He said he doubts it's IBS and was very little help.
quote:I don't think he knows what he's talking about.
Based on those two quotes.. it doesn't sound like you have much respect for this Doc. And.. by what you said.. I don't blame ya. lolPardon the pun.. and go with your gut.. because it sounds like it is telling you to go to another Doc.See if you can get another referral to another GI or at least tell your regular Doc what this one said and how you feel. See what he/she says and what they suggest. But I would be on the phone tomorrow requesting copies of all the reports from the diagnostics you had done. Never any harm getting another opinion and it sounds like you didn't get a first one.Follow your instincts and get yourself another Doc.If you don't put alot of stock into his professional opinion.. then I sure wouldn't allow him to color your self image negatively.Hope you feel better and get some actual help real soon.BQ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts