Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!Just found this site today while doing some never ending research on my condition so I figured I'd join, and try to find some answers and hopefully provide some as well.I'm a 42 year old, in shape male, who has had digestive problems since my early teen years until now. The last ten years my life has been a living hell to put it mildly! I've had three colonoscopys in five years, and many blood tests. All come back negative for Crohns, Celiac, etc., however, my symptoms mimic Chrohns! I'm ok for a few weeks, perhaps a month, then I have an attack. I have mild diarrhea almost every day in the mean time between attacks, no matter if I eat or not. I miss so many days of work, I can't believe they keep me around anymore! When I have an attack, I have severe cramping and constant watery stools--at times it lasts for many hours and I will also pass blood and mucus. The cramps are mind numbing, I know what it is like to give birth! I get a huge headache and get very cold, and end up taking a HOT bath just to quit shaking from being cold. It takes days to feel almost as normal as I can get anymore after an attack! It's getting to the point now that I have "accidents", and I carry a spare pair of undies with me at all times! I travel for a living, which makes it even worse!!! I am constantly tired, I can never get enough sleep, and am lethargic at best during the day. I've even undergone a sleep study recently as my docs latest try to solve this issue and I passed--no sleep apnea!My GP Doc has almost given up trying to solve my problem--we've tried Hyomax, immodium, etc., and I'm now taking Librax. It helps very little,but anything is an improvement! I've seen three different GI docs--they tell me that i'm just stuck with it and most of it is in my head. I'm very tired of being told that!!! They should walk a mile in my shoes and see if they have the same outlook! I'm to the point that I'm getting extremely depressed, I never know what will happen and when! My family is growing tired of missing me at events, etc. I can never eat at a family gathering for fear of what will happen. My wife is sick of paying doctor and hospital bills--she undestands and is sympathetic, but annoyed at the same time--can't blame her I guess!I've tried the elimination diet, and haven't had Red Meat, Dairy, or any spicy foods for years. Seems as though any more a glass of water can give me the runs. That is what don't make sense to me--I eliminate virtually all foods and still I'm sick! I mostly survive on bland foods, rice-boiled chicken-tofu-fresh fruits-fresh veggies. They bother me the least!I sure would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone would have!Thanks,Darin

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Food is not the one and only trigger. Sometimes something else is setting off the diarrhea (not enough sleep, weather is not what you are most comfortable with, etc).They haven't tried low dose antidepressants? Usually tricyclics or Cymbalta it you tend to diarrhea and they can do a lot for the pain (as well as treat the depression which generally make all symptoms of all things worse).Have they gotten a biopsy DURING one of the watery diarrhea attacks? That sound more microscopic colitis than Crohn's and they need a biopsy under the microscope (thus the name) to diagnose it. It can come and go like that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Darin, I have IBS with diarrhea and can't offer advice but I wanted to say how much I empathize with you. I can't get in a car unless it's large enough for me to put a portable toilet in the backseat. I have never had to use it but just for peace of mind. I have to wear Depends and plastic underwear if I take a train and a long coat (even in the summer, embarrassing) for fear of an accident. Immodium doesn't help if anxiety kicks in. Immediate brain to gut reaction. It's a horrible way to live but many on this board understand the traveling problem and the constant fear of accidents, so I hope you will get some good help.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Darin G,Check out the calcium info at the top of the page. It can help to control diarrhea by taking calcium carbonate with your 3 meals. Let me know if you have questions and want some one on one advice. Just email me.Linda

·
Registered
5 Posts
For what it's worth and i hope no one is offended...but i sometimes use medical marijuana to help with cramps, diarrhea, and esp when i cannot eat. If you cannot smoke it..you can try eating it, making a tea, or getting a tincture. In the upcoming years we are going to see a lot of medical research involving cannabinoids as long as big pharma doesnt block it.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Mine was of the everyday variety (for 10 years) and with much less pain, so our experiences are not equal. I have treated it successfully and very satisfactorily since 1998 with a flavonoid supplement designed to stop cholesterol from oxidizing. In the past year, I have found info that points to this supplement controlling colon inflammation. From the total improvement I have also experienced with my GERD, I have to assume it's benefit extends throughout the digestive system, something the researchers were not looking at. The researcher who oversees the clinical testing indicates they have collected some evidence that it has general anti-inflammatory benefits.Cheers,Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.