Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,My doctor recommended that I start taking a daily dose of lactulose because of my frequent constipation. I've experimented with the doses, it works quite well....sometimes a little too well (I'm also prone to attacks of diarrhea). Lately my stools are extremely watery and frequent but I tend to always still feel constipated...This might sound like a weird question, but how do I know if I'm not constipated anymore and when I should stop taking it? I can never telll if the pain is due to a build-up or food ripping through me...Does anyone else have experiencing with alternating IBS and Lacutlose?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you have IBS-C or chronic constipation (or IBS-A where after being constipated you tend to get bouts of diarrhea to flush out) you are likely going to be constipated on an ongoing basis, not for a few days and then be normal for months on end.Generally I think finding the dose that generally keeps you regular most of the time is the best bet rather than waiting until you are backed up then trying to get things moving.That being said, maybe every 3-6 months you can go off your regular control and see if you are OK without it, but be willing to go back on if things aren't better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.