Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

In need of some moral support!

751 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  HelenaKate 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm posting to discuss some problems I've been having lately that I'm struggling to deal with, and would love any feedback/advice!I've suffered from predominantly IBS D for about 7 years, but recently I have been having spells of constipation which I am pretty unfamiliar with. I'm not sure how to address this as I don't want to cause an attack of the other extreme, but, for example, I have been going for 5 days with no bowel movements (even after being reckless and drinking beer and eating spicy food which I never normally do for fear of disaster!) when previously I would have said 2/3 a day were normal for me.I can't think of any significant changes to my diet or lifestyle that would have caused this change, so am a little perplexed.On the other hand, after these spells of constipation, I am getting quite significant IBS D attacks, the worst being one that kept me awake between 1-7am as it was so painful and severe. Since that I have adopted a diet high in soluble fibre and have cut out all trigger foods, but now no bowel movements!! I can't seem to find a balance and it's starting to get to me.plus, I seem to be getting an unpleasant hunger/nausea feeling in my stomach almost constantly, which isn't bad enough to stop me eating, but is very annoying! Could this be down to too much acid? Any advice would be really appreciated! I'd love to start getting my IBS in hand again.

#2 ·
The too much hunger sensations can be gastritis. You might need to have someone take a look. They usually do have to block acid while the lining heals up, regardless of why you have the issue. I can get that from too many NSAID medications.Sometimes IBS can do that alternating thing and it is not usually clear why. There is not some clear trigger for it in most people. But the longer people back up the more likely they are to have diarrhea to flush the system back out. Sometimes preventing the constipation can be important, but hard to do if you have diarrhea most of the time with just a back up once in awhile. You might try something like a glycerine suppository or small enema after 2-3 days of not going to see if "popping the cork" early (as it were) keeps it from getting too bad.

#3 ·
Thanks for your help!I had suspected gastritis as I sometimes get heartburn and indigestion, and I've never felt like I actually am going to vomit. I think it could be triggered by allowing myself to get really hungry accidentally, as I've noticed my stomach doesn't seem to recover well from this.I'll contact my doctor about it, as my remedy of peppermint tea and crackers isn't really a permanent solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.