Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a discovery yesterday that has me very curious.

My entire life, I have not been able to burp. Everyone in my family can burp the alphabet on command, but I rarely even burp by accident. Every couple months, out of nowhere, a tiny baby burp might escape my throat. But that is it.

I always found this mildly annoying but not a cause for concern. Figured it was normal for some people. Well, the last few months my IBS has been especially bad, and I have been unbelievably gassy almost every day. Most days, I can feel the gas pushing up in my throat, wanting to escape and I know that if I could just get it out, I would probably feel a LOT better. But I can't, so eventually the gas turns around, makes me feel like a hot air balloon with a slow leak. Super fun to feel that way at work.

I'm sure people will ask if I've tried this or that, so here's a list:

- I already avoid carbonated beverages. 99% of what I drink is filtered water and caffeine free herbal teas.

- In my purse you will find Zantac, Pepcid, Peptobismol, Gas-X, and Acidil. None of those things seem to help but I still buy them out of desperation.

- At work I keep a container of baking soda and a container of activated charcoal. I don't use them together but will occasionally add some charcoal to my tea or a pinch of baking soda to my water. Helps maybe a little bit but not significantly.

- I quit smoking cigarettes several years ago. I still vape but not often, usually just a few puffs during my work commute.

- I've tried swallowing air, pounding my chest, having someone pat my upper back, etc. Nothing.

- I take Imodium daily for my IBS-D. Sometimes I take the Imodium with added gas relief, but haven't noticed any difference.

Yesterday, while googling my no burping symptoms, I came across a subreddit dedicated to this topic. Apparently it's called Dysfunction of the Belch Reflux, or DPR. A new name has also been suggested for it by a Dr. Bastian from Chicago who seems to be the only doctor currently treating this issue. He calls it Retrograde Cricopharyngeus Dysfunction. He recently published a study of his findings, link below. The treatment he uses is a botox injection into the esophageal sphincter, which somehow reboots it allowing the patient to slowly be able to burp over time.

Going to be talking to my GI doc about all of this soon. But it got me thinking... if I do have this buildup of gas that can't escape, could that be a contributing factor to my IBS? I can only imagine how much pressure there probably is in my gut constantly trying to escape and only having one way to go.

Wondering if anyone else on this forum can relate to any of this?

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2473974X19834553

https://www.reddit.com/r/noburp/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi mb83,

Ive been thinking the same about my inability to bump and my IBS and I came across your post.

Any developments to report on this?

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts