Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiFor the past 3 months(and actually off and on in the past 2 years), I have had incomplete BM almost every day. I am taking zelnorm and have been diagnosed with a pelvic floor dyssynergia (more on this below).I was wondering if anyone had similar symptoms:This is what happens:I usually have 2 BM. The first one is normal (log like) stool that I pass sometime after waking up. I don't feel completely evacuated after that.The second one is what is the problem. If I am able to pass it - it is pasty stool (completely different from 1st BM). Day after day, I have felt it descending from the upper abdomen (or stuck if I am not able to have a BM). I have tried to explain this to doctors.(PCP / 2 colorectal surgeons / 2 GI). My colorectal surgeon (I have had anal fissure in the past 2 months) was the only one who recognized it and said that it should not be termed as 'incomplete evacuation' since that usually means that the stool is stuck in the rectum. He prescribed colonoscopy through my GI. The GI could not find anything in colonoscopy and prescribed zelnorm but he has no explanation of 'stools stuck higher in the abdomen'.Please share information if you have similar symptoms.My case history:anal fissure in Sep 06Healed on its own in Nov 06( on the day I was scheduled for surgery)Lost 20 pounds in 2 months and counting.Colonsocopy - clean / no polyps nothingBiopsy- cleananal manometry - unable to expel balloon (so they say pelvic floor dyssynergia)defacography - everything good (thus contradicting anal manometry)DietVegetarian (lifelong)Extra fiber (metamucil) caused bloatingcitrucel helped sometimes but not a lotPlanning to go to dietitianMy thinkingPelvic floor dysynergia may have devloped because of straining that was caused by constipation. So they are still not on the real cause of this.I read elsewhere that parasites may be an issue. That seemed to go well with the weight loss problem. Any other tips welcome. I can try discussing options with GI.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I haven't had any of the diagnostics you've had. I'm just on Zelnorm, a little fiber and recently started eating Activia yogurt. The only thing to get rid of the feeling of incomplete evacuation is actually going more "fully" or more often from eating the Activia. It's not gone completely but the difference is noticeable.It may be true that IBSers have this as a sensation only, but in my experience it's helped to have a fuller BM. I also go 2x a day (after Zelnorm).Dana

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
quote:My thinkingPelvic floor dysynergia may have devloped because of straining that was caused by constipation. So they are still not on the real cause of this.
Same tougths here even if some doctors think it's the other way around.:/

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the EXACT same thing.I still haven't been properly tested for it and every single colonoscopy has came out normal.It doesn't really matter if you are constipated or not, the point is that all the stool does not come out unless you have watery diahirrieh.Here's what happens:You go in the morning and everything doesn't come out. You just sit there for another ten minutes or so and sometimes more comes out and sometimes nothing happens. Whatever the case, if you get up and walk around you can still FEEL the stool in the back of your butt(Sorry for the detail, but I'm being honest.)So, you kinda have to get it out. By whatever means neccessary. If you have the same thing as me, then you should be able to manually stick your finger up your butt(Again, sorry for the details, but its what really happens) and push out a lot of stool. Sometimes when I go I can push out mre this way then when I actually go.Its not a pretty thing to do, nor is it something I am proud of living with.The point is that if I don't do this I will FEEL the stool up there all day and I basically will be too paranoid by that to really do anything else.This happens with me with soft or hard stool, as long as it is not diahierriah. I would call it incomplete evacutaion I guess because you should be able to push it out by yourself but you can't.

·
Registered
808 Posts
heres my formula for beating the incomplete issue- I take miralax in evening 2 doses and zelnorm and reglan. upon arising I take a zelnnorm and do not eat for an hour or so. oh also I take 4tbs milk of mag at night.its only been with this combo that I go and go good in the am. even though it is watery I do not go the rest of the day. what does not happen in the first 3 hours of the day will not pass later. its the first time In my life I feel decent- finally complete and finally no pain. I guess Ill never have solid poop again but who cares if I go!!! best wishes to youLori

·
Registered
808 Posts
milk of mag is a God send to me!!! I take the capful ( 4tbs) and the best part- no gas, no cramps, and I go in the am and no more- no running all day long. its cheap too.walmart has the best deal on it!!! 7.00 for a big bottle- ibs can get expensive ya know?

·
Registered
232 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ramana:HiFor the past 3 months(and actually off and on in the past 2 years), I have had incomplete BM almost every day. I am taking zelnorm and have been diagnosed with a pelvic floor dyssynergia (more on this below).I was wondering if anyone had similar symptoms:This is what happens:I usually have 2 BM. The first one is normal (log like) stool that I pass sometime after waking up. I don't feel completely evacuated after that.The second one is what is the problem. If I am able to pass it - it is pasty stool (completely different from 1st BM). Day after day, I have felt it descending from the upper abdomen (or stuck if I am not able to have a BM). I have tried to explain this to doctors.(PCP / 2 colorectal surgeons / 2 GI). My colorectal surgeon (I have had anal fissure in the past 2 months) was the only one who recognized it and said that it should not be termed as 'incomplete evacuation' since that usually means that the stool is stuck in the rectum. He prescribed colonoscopy through my GI. The GI could not find anything in colonoscopy and prescribed zelnorm but he has no explanation of 'stools stuck higher in the abdomen'.Please share information if you have similar symptoms.My case history:anal fissure in Sep 06Healed on its own in Nov 06( on the day I was scheduled for surgery)Lost 20 pounds in 2 months and counting.Colonsocopy - clean / no polyps nothingBiopsy- cleananal manometry - unable to expel balloon (so they say pelvic floor dyssynergia)defacography - everything good (thus contradicting anal manometry)DietVegetarian (lifelong)Extra fiber (metamucil) caused bloatingcitrucel helped sometimes but not a lotPlanning to go to dietitianMy thinkingPelvic floor dysynergia may have devloped because of straining that was caused by constipation. So they are still not on the real cause of this.I read elsewhere that parasites may be an issue. That seemed to go well with the weight loss problem. Any other tips welcome. I can try discussing options with GI.
Ramana. I feel the exact same and I have also wondered if parasites could be the cause. I had a hair analysis test done for food allergy about 1 year ago, and it said parasites, but I don't know if I actually have parasites or just a mild allergy to them. Sometime my stools look like "fish" zooming down the loo, or like tree leafs!! so I have wondered too if parasites could be the cause of imcomplete evacuation, but don't know who could answer that query, or what the cure would be. I really feel for you, as I am going through the exact same and its awful. Thank you for sharing. Regards. Mary

·
Registered
234 Posts
Almost without exception intestinal parasites will cause diarrhea, not constipation or the feeling of incomplete evacuation. Anyone who tries to tell you that you're constipation because of parasites is selling you a bill of goods...Dana

·
Registered
113 Posts
quote:Originally posted by lorilou:heres my formula for beating the incomplete issue- I take miralax in evening 2 doses and zelnorm and reglan. upon arising I take a zelnnorm and do not eat for an hour or so. oh also I take 4tbs milk of mag at night.its only been with this combo that I go and go good in the am. even though it is watery I do not go the rest of the day. what does not happen in the first 3 hours of the day will not pass later. its the first time In my life I feel decent- finally complete and finally no pain. I guess Ill never have solid poop again but who cares if I go!!! best wishes to youLori
I will definitely start to try this. So Milk of Magnesia is safe to use with Zelnorm?You also take miralax and reglan(What is reglan?), isn't that combining 3 laxatives together? You should really have to go ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.