Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been told they have this? I thought I was constipated, but the GI doc told me what I had was 'incomplete evacuation' because I go everyday, usually several times a day, especially in the morning. But not all at once. Sometimes I feel I have to go all day long, but cannot. If I take a suppository, it burns me up for hours, even all day! I have had this problem for years, but the stools used to be loose, so it wasn't a problem. Another problem is that I have a <a href="http://www.universityobgyn.com/pelvic.htm#Rectocele"Rectocele[/I] It came after my 3rd child, and that adds to the problem of evacuation even if the stools are loose. When my GYN moved, a new GYN doc told me I had a Rectocele. That was about 10 years ago. He said it could be corrected with surgery, but then I didn't want to do it. He moved also, and another GYN I have now has not said much about it, though I have mentioned it to him. The GI doctor told me to take a few tablespoons of metamucil a couple times a day to see if that worked better. I had not found metamucil to be that helpful up till now, so I never took it regularly. For the past week I have been increasing my intake of metamucil with water. At first it did seem to help, but yesterday it started up again. I have back problems so I don't get around as much as I used to. When I have Incomplete Evacuation, my back hurts worse. I had a colonoscopy about 4 years ago, and everything was fine. Anybody else with this problem? I was told 30 years ago, I had IBS. So, I realize thats part of the problem, but it's much worse now, when the stools are not loose then before. Mylanta helps loosen the stools.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes I understand fully. For me its my primary symptom! Its almost a reason to every other IBS symptom I feel. ITs like the #1 thing that describes it all! I really think my hemmie is a big cause for it, and if I can get it removed, I know I'll feel better. How much? Not sure on that, don't know if It'll be a full recovery, but It will definitly be a noticable difference?What makes me think this? several things. #1, in the process of a large bowel movement, the hemmie will protrude, and cut off the stool flow, and block my rectum. I have to push it back in many times with my finger. #2, if I push it out of the way with my finger, sometimes I can get twice as much stool out, but I really hate doing this, as I HATE getting stool on my hands. And even knowing this, of course, my GI doc tells me "Everything's normal, you just have IBS, that hemmie is not severe enough to cause a problem" Well let me tell you, its like the size of a softball when it protrudes, if thats not a problem I don't know what is!I have had some good luck using Glycerin suppositories. When I feel like I have to go, I'll go as much as I can, then when I can't get anymore out, I'll insert a suppositorie. Still a pain in the ass, as it's not exactly a very quick method, but it works very well! Seems to be the longer you can hold the suppositorie in the more effective it will be. But I can totally relate with the burning feeling, that happens a lot to me as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I also go several times a day and always feel there is more to come. Sometimes as I am washing my hands I need to sit down again!! I have a strong suspicion I also have a rectocele but cannot seem to find a doctor interested in pursuing this as a diagnosis. Did you have one of those tests where they fill you up and watch you have a motion. Sorry don't know the name! Would having a rectocele cause other things like bloating?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I'm a man and i have exactly this feeling and the area in trouble is 6 inchs under the belly bottom.The worst altered area have the size of a golf ball.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I always have to push and works on this area to releive the trapped gas.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
For one the nerves can be sensitive there, so a very small amount of material can give a person an urge or the feeling of incomplete evacuation, which is a Sensation of incomplete evacuation.But, "ConstipationThe symptoms of constipation are infrequent bowel movements usually less than 3 per week, passage of hard stools, and sometimes difficulty in passing stools. One motility problem that can lead to constipation is a decrease in the number of high amplitude propagating contractions slow transit in the large intestine. The test used to detect this is a transit time (Sitzmark) study. Outlet obstruction type constipation (pelvic floor dyssynergia)The external anal sphincter, which is part of the pelvic floor normally stays tightly closed to prevent leakage. When you try to have a bowel movement, however, this sphincter has to open to allow the fecal material to come out. Some people have trouble relaxing the sphincter muscle when they are straining to have a bowel movement, or they may actually squeeze the sphincter more tightly shut when straining. This produces symptoms of constipation." http://www.iffgd.org/GIDisorders/GIAdults.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
Found this on the Net: The internal anal sphincter (IAS) of patients with hemorrhoids demonstrates an abnormal rhythm of contraction and also exerts a greater force of contraction than in individuals without hemorrhoids. Whether this sphincter abnormality is a cause or an effect of hemorrhoids is not known. However, an overactive sphincter might contribute to venous congestion, expose the anal cushions to greater shear forces, or do both by constricting the anal canal.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but can one always feel a hemmie? Does it always hurt? I have incomplete evacs, but I'm a dude, so I'm fairly confident that I don't have a rectocele. I don't feel any hemmie's, though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
To Snookered:A prolapsed rectum, maybe? It happens to dudes, too. In mild cases, it isn't even visible. Check out the link below and tell me it isn't a stretch (no pun intended!). I don't know about hems. One doc told me I didn't have any, the second said I had a large skin tag, the third found a tiny cluster of internal hems that were too insignificant to treat, and the fourth scheduled me for surgery. It seems I had a few internal hems, one of which was prolapsed. I never felt anything other than that annoying rectal fullness and, of course, the incomplete evacs. The surgery took all of twenty minutes (nothing major, obviously), but I opted for it because I was convinced it would relieve the symptoms. It didn't. And so the search goes on: http://www.ecureme.com/emyhealth/data/Rectal_Prolapse.asp

·
Registered
75 Posts
an incomplete bm which happens to me usauly occurs when i don't have the right urge and even if i try i only expel some gas. to try and empty again i have to consume something which goes through me. i'm thinking if it could be damaged nerves of the anal sphincter musucle or maybe a bacterial problem meaning if food goes down undigested there's not enough stool for the sphincter to act, but you still feel bloated like there's something in the rectum which there still is. very confusing and distresingbloating aftermeals/fullness in rectum acco mpanied by trapped gas(holding leads to bm),incomplete bms having to clean all the time(only complete if urge is right)/complete bms like a D burst movement/feeling empty,consume a small meal and back to square one.i would'nt even bother calling it ibs
something invaded my gi tract ten years

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not Well, it is my theory as well. I know my sphincter muscle is shot from holding in gas for so many years, and trying to induce or control BMs. We tend to develop bad habits when our lives revolve around getting the right urge at the right time. Eventually, we pay the price. I don't really believe I have a prolapse, but I want to eliminate every possible scenario. If it's a sphincter muscle problem, then what's the solution? Biofeedback won't help if the underlying cause is not resolved. There's a lot of talk about 'bad bacteria'. It may be cause of IBS in some people, but the verdict is not in. Probiotics may be helpful, but I don't think they're capable of restoring intestinal flora to the point where we are cured. And there are no guarantees that the probiotics we're buying over the counter are any good. It's a trial-and-error proposition, and we're the guinea pigs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I take fiber in the a.m. for the incomplete evac. I have IBS-M type (mush), like pushing a giant cube of jello across the room: impossible. Fiber gives me a firm consistency. Without it, I'm leaving what feels like 30% still waiting to get out of the back door.

·
Registered
353 Posts
meribaibs,I don't think it is a prolapse in my case, either. I suppose anything is possible, but I have no pain or itching--just the fullness when the bm is not complete. Also, I had a colonoscopy after I'd had the problem for awhile, and I would think they would have caught the problem then. Same with the hemmies, too, I guess. Thanks for the info, though. I am willing to entertain pretty much any possibility. You ask a question about if it is a sphincter muscle problem, what is the solution. I think there are two solutions. The first is that there is surgical repair, which you probably want to avoid if possible. The second, I think, is doing the kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor. The Beyond Kegels book is supposed to address this. However, I think this is most effective when used with biofeedback. You go to a clinic, they stick a probe up there, and you practice your exercises. The biofeedback then tells you if you are doing it correctly and targeting the right muscles. In this way, if your problem is damaged pelvic floor muscles (same as external anal sphincter? I don't know), the biofeedback does address the underlying problem. I know I have additional problems, but I am going to see if I can get on the biofeedback train. I think this is the War and Peace of this thread.

·
Registered
265 Posts
meribaibs,Try different types of fiber, and try them at different times of the day 'til you find something that is tres bon. From what I have found out gas is good for you, just not for everyone around you. If you stick with it, then your body adjusts, and the gas effects lessen. It took me about a week, but now fiber is a 'must for my mush'.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.