Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I see some messages posted on the boards about incomplete evacuation (stools remaining in the rectum) and I would like to know if this problem only accompanied by trapped gas means that someone has ibs, or is it a seperate problem (not ibs) or is it part and parcel of ibs. If it is ibs does it mean ibs d or ibs c. Would be grateful for clarification on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
People with both C and D have mentioned it. I have IBS-D, and I get it sometimes. It's the most annoying thing ever
I had never heard of it until I had IBS, and I also never had a problem with it until I developed IBS. Although I'm confused as to how it would be exclusively linked...

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had active IBS D for about 10 years. IE was certainly apart of that--why else would I have gone 4+ times most mornings? I am sure that was related to the solid to liquid ratio coming through. It probably became even more irritating during the recovery period, as that liquid was reincorporated into the poop. I would seem to get just so much push on the soft stool, leaving the rest behind. While I was never C, there did seem to be some motility problem in getting it all through.Mark

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have found, though, that my IE is a whole lot better since I've been treating my IBS. Before, I'd go to the bathroom a zillion times after 1 "real" BM. Now, I go once, and about 10 minutes later I go again, and then I'm usually "empty" for the time being.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote:Originally posted by lynnie:I have found, though, that my IE is a whole lot better since I've been treating my IBS. Before, I'd go to the bathroom a zillion times after 1 "real" BM. Now, I go once, and about 10 minutes later I go again, and then I'm usually "empty" for the time being.
Thanks for the replies about this and I wonder what is good treatment to help with this, as I have a daily problem with it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I also have the incomplete evacuation. I have C IBS, sometimes D as well.Sometimes my stools are hard, and sometimes they are not. I take a multivitamin with Calcium , and try to eat fiber foods, but I think the Calcium may make it more difficult. I hate still having stool, and I can't go. I've resorted to suppositories at times, I push, but are afraid of pushing too much, because my lower abdomen starts to bother me, and is tender, when I push too much or hard, plus I think I have internal hemmorhoids, it hurts and is sore at times, almost like a cutting feeling. Not sure what to do .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll go to the bathroom. After a couple of minutes, I'll think I'm done. I wipe, pull up my pants, wash my hands, etc. I put my shoes and coat on. Walk down the street to meet up with my girlfriend. Halfway down the street I'll realize that, "oh, balls... I'm not done yet." (I hope she never sees me running away...
) Well, not really. Usually I can tell that I haven't completed the job, but I can't do anything about it. So I will leave the house and then, once I'm just out of range of my house it'll be back for more. I've come to expect it now. It's one of the more annoying parts of IBS. I have C and D with lots of pain.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:Originally posted by Catalyst:I'll go to the bathroom. After a couple of minutes, I'll think I'm done. I wipe, pull up my pants, wash my hands, etc. I put my shoes and coat on. Walk down the street to meet up with my girlfriend. Halfway down the street I'll realize that, "oh, balls... I'm not done yet." (I hope she never sees me running away...
) Well, not really. Usually I can tell that I haven't completed the job, but I can't do anything about it. So I will leave the house and then, once I'm just out of range of my house it'll be back for more. I've come to expect it now. It's one of the more annoying parts of IBS. I have C and D with lots of pain.
Thanks for your replies, but is there no cure or treatment to help with this, as I also find it very frustrating that when I think I am finished in the bathroom and away from the house about my business, I will have a feeling that I need to go again. I spend ages trying to prevent that from happening as I stay so long in the bathroom, but it looks like its something that cannot be conquered unless someone know about some treatment that would help. I take fibogel and colpermin capsules. The colperhim helps a bit with trapped gas, but incomplete evacuation just doesnt go away as these treatments do not help. Thanks for all replies and help offered.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
If you have D, then the flavonoids I use might work as well for you. Mark

·
Registered
522 Posts
these are my symptoms : i have had trapped gas for many years and IE time to time. I have BM regularly every day so I don´t actually have C or D but the stool is almost always either loose or hard - never normal. my doctor told me it was IBS . (all my tests were negative)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't found a cure, no. Sorry. The only thing that works for me is to stay on the toilet for an hour. And hopefully you'll catch the "second wave." Unfortunately, this is not possible for most people, as some do have lives.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
You have to realize this is in big part sensation, its the "sensation of incomplete evacuation" do to sensitive nerves in the rectum.The SENSATION of Incomplete evacuation" The rectum is more elastic than the rest of the bowel so it can stretch to store fecal material. It is surrounded by nerves that detect expansion of the rectum and signal a sensation of urgency to let us know when it is time to have a bowel movement."http://www.aboutincontinence.org/causes.html In IBS the nerves in the rectum that signal urgency can be very sensitive so it feel like you have to go when the colon is empty.Hypnotherapy helped me greatly with this, biofeedback might also help a person with this as well.There maybe other issues for this to to be tested for."Dyssynergia of the pelvic floor: the term, defined by the Rome Criteria, provides as a symptomatologic expression of the entity characterized by straining during evacuation, a sensation of incomplete evacuation, or the recourse to fingering in at least 25 percent of evacuation actions. It has also been defined as abdomino-pelvic dyssynergia and can be identified through manometry, electromyography, or defecography as the incapacity of the muscles of the pelvic floor to relax during the act of defecation14,17."http://www.anemgi.org/html/anost.htm FYII asked one of the experts in chat about biofeedback and Incomplete evacuation, which sometimes may lead to fecal incotinence."Eric. Yes. Incomplete evacuation can lead to FI. This is often a result of unintentional contraction of the anal canal during BMs, like we see in constipation patients. So we train proper relaxation during defecation attempts in the same manner. "a bb search will come up with quite a bit of info on this.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have D, but when i take to much immodium, I can get C, and i experience the incomplete evac, and it is horrible, im sorry your going through this. Wish I knew more about it to help you out, but i can sympathise!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all Thanks for all replies, and sharing hints and information. Thanks to Eric for all info and you mentioned hypnotherapy. I am doing Mike's tapes for the second go. (I did the programme last year in late 2005 early 2006, but it did not work for me, so I decided to give it another go. It is certainly making me more relaxed and confident this time, but I am puzzled at the bit about the wheel that spins, as I see the wheel spinning fast, but I do not have D, its C I have, so I was never sure which pedal to use. I used the right hand pedal for C.but hard to visualise a wheel spinning slowly. Anyway I am going to keep going with Mike's programme (even if I need to do it 4 or 5 times) as I think it is marvellous for stress relief, and I would hope that might help with the incomplete evacuation, if it has helped you. You said it was a Sensation more than anything, so I am beginning to see that now, but its just trying to get rid of that sensation that is the problem as it is very frustrating indeed. Thanks for all your research.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Mary hang in there and don't worry to much about the wheel at the moment, because the subconcious will sort it out for you. You can visulize a stream and the water flowing, instead of damned up.
Sometimes it takes a couple rounds so glad it is helping more this time. The subconcious doesn't like change, so it may take a bit for that to happen. Let me know how its going for you after a bit.I didn't even notice to much when the sensation thing basically stopped for the most part, every once in a great while sometimes I feel it kindof.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
What happens if you use a glycerin suppository or do a small enema? The stool left in the rectum should come out and end the problem for awhile.Does the stool come out when you do that.Do you think you need to have your pelvic floor tested to make sure it relaxes enough to let all the stool out?K.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi, Kath. Thanks for the reply. Yes, a small enema works well, but I don't like to get too dependant on that. The suppositories have not normally been helpful.I have been thinking about checking out the pelvic floor for a while.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Eric Thanks for your reply, but I wonder which pedal I should use as I am stuck at that and am thinking maybe that is why the hynotherapy isn't working for me. It is incomplete evacuation that is my problem, so I wonder is that ibs D or ibs C. I am at session 2 of the hypnotherapy now for the second time around and I had been using the right hand pedal, but its not working out, so I have 2 questions that you might be able to answer. (1) What is hynotherapy addressing to help? is it incomplete evacuation it helps or does it make you go to the bathroom more for C or less for D? and the other question I have is Do you know what is in the subconscious that the tapes are addressingi.e. stress, or depression or what? Thanks Eric. I am not having a very good day today, but I am so glad to have the support of people like you and all the others on the ibs boards. Thanks to all who replied, and gave their thoughts and views. You all make the world a brighter place. Thanks again.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Incomplete evacuation seems to be seen in both IBS-C and IBS-D types.As for the pedals, I'd just play with it and see what seems to work for you. I don't know if you can analyze it ahead of time to arrive at the right answer.I think hypnotherapy like CBT is more general. It has to do with your response to your GI tract. You can respond in ways that keep a symptom going (any symptom) or repspond in a way that cause a inappropriate body response to become more appropriate.It is going to be kind of individual as it depends on how you are responding and how your own response needs to adjust. I know for the CBT it wasn't working by making depressed people less depressed as it worked best in the clinical trial I was in on the non-depressed people. I think it can work on how your own depressions or stress feeds the IBS, but it doesn't just make stress go away and the symptoms follow. Not sure if that makes sense. It may not change how much stress you have, but it can change how your stress effects the IBS. If your stress reaction is making things worse you can rechannel it so you aren't using it to send the IBS signals that ramp up the symptoms.K.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.