Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My symptoms began 5 years ago and got progressively worse with time. I went to the doctor over and over, changed doctors when there was no resolution, changed my diet a thousand times, took everything I could find that was supposed to help, had test after test with no real solutions. The doctors just kept saying IBS...over and over for 5 very long, painful, stressful years. Last March after a particularly bad couple of months a friend found a diet plan that she wanted to try for losing weight. It didn't really interest me at first, but she had me read the book as it talked a lot about stomach and digestive issues. the book was Eat Right For Your Blood Type. I am Type O and the author described a lot of my particular symptoms...so I was then intrigued. As I was having a really rough time with my symptoms I decided to try it. One month and just see what happened. I dove in full force and completely changed my diet. I even got rid of everything in the cabinets and fridge that were on the avoid list so I wouldn't be tempted. The plan is very complicated, and a little tricky to manage if you have to eat out very much, but I decided it couldn't hurt so I did it religiously. I noted that most of the diet for my blood type was a lot of the things that had been known to cause me problems in the past...but I kept to it. It has been 4 months now and the ONLY time I've had ANY symptoms is when I stray from the diet plan. I think for me, being Type O ( I don't know if this would help anyone of a different blood type) the main thing has been that the diet is gluten free. After I spoke with my doctor he suggested I might have Celiac Disease instead of IBS. But the only way to test for Celiac is to re-introduce wheat into my diet. I'm just not willing to do that. I think going undiagnosed is a small price to pay for living symptom free. I can't express enough how great I feel. My energy level is back to what it should be. My skin and hair are healthier, and most importantly...NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS. No drugs, no treatments, just diet. It took about 2 weeks on the new diet to really start feeling better and be symptom free. Now I admit that I do have cravings for wheat products...but it's a small price to pay for feeling like my old self.Again, I say I have no idea if this would work for anyone else..but my main message is this: If you have IBS symptoms and have not been tested for Celiac disease, ask your doctor. It could be a misdiagnosis. If you want more information on the diet plan, just google the book title. You can find it at any library or bookstore. It might not work, but what if it did??

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.