Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a point now the only meds I am on is NuLevand Immodium for about a week. Nothing my Doc prescribed was working so he told me to try the immodium. The last two months now I have had this incredible fatigue in the morning at work. I thought it was from the meds but now I'm not on any and I am barely able to keep my eyes open. Is this another wonderful symptom of IBS or should I check with my Doc about looking into something else? I actually struggle to stay awake. Oddly enough, I don't have the usual IBS flair-ups over the weekend that I do during the week at work. I can't remember the last time I went through an entire day feeling good.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I would tend to think that excessive daytime sleepiness is NOT symptom of IBS.It should be brought up with the doctor. excessive tiredness can come from MANY things so it may be time for a once over.Do you snore??? If you snore loudly (have someone check) you run the risk of sleep apnea and other related breathing problems when you sleep. The main symptoms (other than people will not sleep in the same room with you) are feeling unrested when you awake and having excessive daytime sleepiness (the sleep anwhere anytime type of thing) there can be irritablity, memory problems, and excessive car accidents as well.You may even need to check the # of hours you sleep. If you only get 6 when you need 8 you will not be rested in the morning and will get tired during the day.The main test for that is what happens in a boring meeting. If you get restless and figgity you are probably getting enough hours, if you fall asleep you probably are not. Now if you get 9-12 hours every night and still fall asleep in meetings then the quality isn't good.I had a undiagnosed sleep disorder for about 10 years before we figured it out. They are actually fairly common and effect many people not in the "typical" patient category (which is middle-aged, male and overweight...I was young, female, and slim).K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I would tend to think that excessive daytime sleepiness is NOT symptom of IBS.It should be brought up with the doctor. excessive tiredness can come from MANY things so it may be time for a once over.Do you snore??? If you snore loudly (have someone check) you run the risk of sleep apnea and other related breathing problems when you sleep. The main symptoms (other than people will not sleep in the same room with you) are feeling unrested when you awake and having excessive daytime sleepiness (the sleep anwhere anytime type of thing) there can be irritablity, memory problems, and excessive car accidents as well.You may even need to check the # of hours you sleep. If you only get 6 when you need 8 you will not be rested in the morning and will get tired during the day.The main test for that is what happens in a boring meeting. If you get restless and figgity you are probably getting enough hours, if you fall asleep you probably are not. Now if you get 9-12 hours every night and still fall asleep in meetings then the quality isn't good.I had a undiagnosed sleep disorder for about 10 years before we figured it out. They are actually fairly common and effect many people not in the "typical" patient category (which is middle-aged, male and overweight...I was young, female, and slim).K.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i'd tend to agree that it's probably not related to IBS... I've been feeling really fatigued lately... not a lot of energy, get dizzy when i stand up or walk around, etc.... but i think it's from a virus that's been going around which my mom had first... it lasted quite awhile, like a month or so, and then she was doing better... so far i'm refusing to let myself get sick... and it hasn't gotten worse, but still not much better... I get worn out after 2 mins of working out... and i used to be able to do a 30 min solid workout with no probs...

·
Registered
191 Posts
i'd tend to agree that it's probably not related to IBS... I've been feeling really fatigued lately... not a lot of energy, get dizzy when i stand up or walk around, etc.... but i think it's from a virus that's been going around which my mom had first... it lasted quite awhile, like a month or so, and then she was doing better... so far i'm refusing to let myself get sick... and it hasn't gotten worse, but still not much better... I get worn out after 2 mins of working out... and i used to be able to do a 30 min solid workout with no probs...

G

·
Do you eat canned fruit or other foods that contain high fructose corn syrup, or sorbitol or mannitol? I gave up canned peaches and fruit cocktail when I had symptoms a lot like yours. Instant cure. If I can just stay away from sugary foods in general (which is hard for me) I generally stay pretty alert.

G

·
Do you eat canned fruit or other foods that contain high fructose corn syrup, or sorbitol or mannitol? I gave up canned peaches and fruit cocktail when I had symptoms a lot like yours. Instant cure. If I can just stay away from sugary foods in general (which is hard for me) I generally stay pretty alert.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Admiss,I feel incredibly tired in the morning too, except mine has been going on 15 months instead of 2, I can sleep 12 hours a night and still not feel refreshed. So your not alone.It may be something as simple as not getting enough hours sleep, having a sleep disorder or something else.If it causes enough concern and its having an impact on your normal day to day life I would suggest talk to your doctor - that way you can get some tests to get to the root of the problem.As K says it may be something fairly simple and easy to fix, so you've nothing to lose in discussing it with your doctor.Clair

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Admiss,I feel incredibly tired in the morning too, except mine has been going on 15 months instead of 2, I can sleep 12 hours a night and still not feel refreshed. So your not alone.It may be something as simple as not getting enough hours sleep, having a sleep disorder or something else.If it causes enough concern and its having an impact on your normal day to day life I would suggest talk to your doctor - that way you can get some tests to get to the root of the problem.As K says it may be something fairly simple and easy to fix, so you've nothing to lose in discussing it with your doctor.Clair

·
Registered
33 Posts
I take 3 Imodium a day to regulate my IBS D and was incredibly sleepy during the day. I have just started a new diet and find myself with more energy. I cut out the sugary sweets and fats and haven't been yawning as much or wanting to take a nap during the day. It really helped. Might be something to try.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I take 3 Imodium a day to regulate my IBS D and was incredibly sleepy during the day. I have just started a new diet and find myself with more energy. I cut out the sugary sweets and fats and haven't been yawning as much or wanting to take a nap during the day. It really helped. Might be something to try.

G

·
I feel a lot like you do. Always exhausted. Always napping. Always scrutinized by more engergetic people. When people live with chronic pain, their bodies get sapped of energy. Hence, the lethargy. I've read a lot about living with chronic pain and find it helps to understand myself if not just my symptoms.For me anyway, IBS isn't just the common bathroom symptoms. It's a constant battle with excrutiating pain. Hope that helps!

G

·
I feel a lot like you do. Always exhausted. Always napping. Always scrutinized by more engergetic people. When people live with chronic pain, their bodies get sapped of energy. Hence, the lethargy. I've read a lot about living with chronic pain and find it helps to understand myself if not just my symptoms.For me anyway, IBS isn't just the common bathroom symptoms. It's a constant battle with excrutiating pain. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I find that IBS attacks really sap my energy.If you're not getting enough sleep the days that you work, that could be the problem.I get like that sometimes during a fibromyalgia flareup...feel like I have the flu or something, really tired and kinda achey and it seems like all I do is sleep and work... People with fibro are deficient in a certain restorative stage of sleep, which is why they get tired and achey. It is not uncommon to have both fibromyalgia syndrome and IBS.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I find that IBS attacks really sap my energy.If you're not getting enough sleep the days that you work, that could be the problem.I get like that sometimes during a fibromyalgia flareup...feel like I have the flu or something, really tired and kinda achey and it seems like all I do is sleep and work... People with fibro are deficient in a certain restorative stage of sleep, which is why they get tired and achey. It is not uncommon to have both fibromyalgia syndrome and IBS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts