Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an interesting article on inflammation as the great culprit in heart disease, published in the Daily Mail Online. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1216737/Forget-cholesterol-statins--heres-REALLY-avoid-heart-disease.htmlThere has been recent work published (and discussed on this board) that points to inflammation being a key element in IBS. My past behaviours--diet, smoking, beer drinking--would predict such levels in me, and the first occurrences of my IBS and GERD seemed directly correlated to those behaviours, especially smoking. Because I was avoiding all medical advice that would have forced me to change my habits--especially as I was sure I wasn't going to last all that long, anyway--I never had the baseline readings done on my inflammation levels. What I can say is that since taking a flavonoid supplement (with anti-inflammatory effects) to control platelet behaviours that encourage plaque deposits and adding a phytosterol/omega 3 supplement (with additional anti-inflammatory effects) to block cholesterol absorption, my bowel, digestive, circulatory, and heart problems have all been greatly reduced. These reductions have been accomplished and maintained over a 12 year time frame. In my last physical, my doctor added the CRP level test mentioned in the article to my bloodwork. It came back normal.From my experience, I can say it is possible to treat inflammatory conditions and many of the diseases they affect without prescription meds. The time frame is different than simply trying to address individual symptoms; but the effects can be much more satisfying, since current medical practices are more likely to simply look at all of these conditions as unrelated occurrences.Mark

·
Registered
312 Posts
i agree with this my IBS-D was at it's worst when i mostly only ate spagetti and someone who mostly only eats spagetti will have inflammation through the roof and there for there cholesterol will be through the roof too cause there body is trying to repair the inflammation. but i believe the only time there cholesterol would not be through the roof if they ate junk like that is if there body was literally starving to death and was unable to produce it.but the one thing i don't agree with is where you said '' to block cholesterol absorption '' the last thing you wan't to do is prevent yourself from eating cholesterol rich foods and absorbing that cholesterol. because cholesterol is what heals your inflammation. thats maybe another reason why my high fat, medium protein, low carb diet, atkins at the time i did it first that healed my stomach. because it's rich in saturated fats which help produce the large healthy fluffly LDL that heals inflammation and there for heals your stomach.it took me 6 months to heal my stomach on atkins but i ate foods that still irritated my gut the whole 6 months like to much dairy or mayo but i don't eat them anymore.also where you say your blood work came back normal yes after your body has healed it's inflammation you will have what is considerd normal blood work. but an important thing to note is anyone who has inflammation and starts a healthy high fat diet and also does the things to prevent more inflammation from forming. it's important to note that there blood work cholesterol will skyrocket it will go through the roof for about 2-4 months. but by the 6th month when there cholesterol has healed all there inflammation there body will no longer need to tell the liver to produce all that cholesterol in the blood so by the 6th month your blood work will go to what is considerd normal levels.i see people on the atkins diet who are worried about the skyrocket in there LDL cholesterol during the first few months but mostly always by the 6th month there blood work is what is considerd good. and the only people i see who are unable to fix there cholesterol are people on cholesterol meds and or type 2 diabetics who it may take abit longer for.and cholesteorl meds are not only useless they are deadly they block your liver from produceing cholesterol. and since your body cannot produce that cholesterol to heal the inflammation and since inflammation is one of the 2 things i know of that cause heart disease, heart attacks thats why they are deadly.the 2nd thing i know that causes heart attacks is eating junk like this. eating alot of junk food like this can bring on a very quick heart attack and death.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCwVAkrHLq4also lately there was a thing saying IBS is caused by alot of tiny tiny inflammations inside the gut/intestines and such.so in short eat a healthy diet rich in saturated fats like butter, eggs, grass fed beef fat, omega-3. and if your cholesterol blood work is still through the roof by the 6th month or maybe 11th month? if your a type 2 diabetic then you are exposing your body to something that is causeing inflammation in it so find out what it is and fix it.bread,pasta,over cooking your food, and even chlorine in the water you drink are some things that cause infalmmation. here is good info on it at this link.http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/08/10/making-sense-of-your-cholesterol-numbers.aspxnote if that link asks for your email just type in any [email protected] and enter it to get past it's popup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.