Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this info at work yesterday and thought it might be helpful. WHAT FOODS ARE THE WORST OFFENDERS?Beans (all types), milk and milk products may be the worst offenders in causing gas. Others include onions, celery, carrots, raisins, apricots, prune juice, wheat products and brussel sprouts.THE CARBOHYDRATE ELIMIATION DIETIndividuals with excessive flatus who are determined to reduce it may find the following plan helpful: Before: you begin: If you are an air swallower, which means a large percentage of your flatus is swallowed air, this plan will not help you. Fist, you must stop swallowing air, next, severely restrict all carbohydrates in your diet. Use the following low gas producing foods as your basic diet while you test your intestines reaction.1. meat, fowl and fish2. Vegetables - lettuce, cucmber, broccoli, peppers, avocado, cauliflower, tomato, asparagus, zucchini.3. Fruits- cantaloupe, grapes, berries4. Carbohydrates- rice, corn, graham crackers5. all nuts6. others- eggs, nonmilk chocolate, jello, fruit ice.Then: introduce one category of carbohydrate into your diet for three days. Eat plenty of the carbohydrate during that time. If your find a marked change of flatus production you have discovered one food culprit.Major carbohydrate categories are:milk and milk productsbeansfruitspotatoes and root vegetablescabbage and leafy vegetableswheat and other grainsAs far as the reducing swallowing air, they suggest no gum, hard candy, smoking, carbonated beverages. Eat slowly and sip fluids.I think I am going to try to go on this diet and see if it helps. Last night I had an ice cream and I had the worst gas all evening. It was so embarassing! I looked at the ingredients of the ice cream and guess what was in it, carrageenan. That is one of the gas producing amino acids (I think) that Flux posted.Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks Jen. I'm considering trying it - or at least printing it out for the people I think should try it! LOL. I wonder if it would work for me - I believe I probably swallow a lot of air due to allergies - constant nasal drip thing going on and you can't always blow your nose.

·
Registered
370 Posts
GAS - SOMEONE SAY GAS??!! My biggest problem. Everyone askes what type of IBS the other one has and the answer is always either C or D, mine is G (gas)!!!!! Only good thing about it is that I live by myself. So I don't have to make up stories or blame it on the dog. All of my friends are aware of my health and live with it especially when they are at my house.I do notice a difference when i don't eat some of the things on the list. Peanuts are my favorite but I will tell you that they make me sick for at least 2 days. Ice cream, oh boy, thank god I don't really like it. I love eating salads of all types and they do effect me but I watch how much i eat and always try to eat salad with a meal. Drinking with a straw is out in my book and I stopped doing that years ago. That definitely adds to the gas problem. Many people have told me thatt I eat way too fast and they do notice that I swallow a lot of air when I eat. Even though I am a single 43 year old male I do like cooking for myself and I am not talking putting TV dinners in the microwave. I try to balance out my deit the best I can each time I cook for myself which is about 4 nights out of the week. My biggest problem is not eating at the right times or over eating, this upsets my system the most of everything.

G

·
Cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, any fresh fruit, nuts and lettuce (especially ice berg)? They all cause miserable gas for me! Actually, just about anything raw does, too. I thought broccoli and cauliflower were in the cabbage family, so it would make sense that they could cause the same gas problems wouldn't it?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odeal, I thought the same thing about the cucumbers, broccoli etc. The would really set me off. I guess each person would have to individualize the diet. I am going to try to cut down on the carbs and see what happens. Bad thing is, carbs are the staple of my diet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.