Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok - a couple of times I have heard people say that antifungals can have a negative effect on the gut.If so - how ? I would liek some real info if anyone has it ? Specifically with regard to grapefruti seed extract and garlic ??

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Uh oh you said the dirty word "fungal" in the same sentence as a reference to the gut. And some non-drug food extracts....
I am going to retreat to the bleachers for a couple days then come back and see where it goes...and then if there is anything to add or help with.Meckle, are you familiar with the term "Pandora's Box?".
Duck!!!
MNLThen again maybe you will get lucky!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah Mike !!A quick search on Pubmed and I found what I was looking for.Basically I suspected that too much garlic was having GI effects of it's own. I was right. garlic info

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
meckle,i am glad you posted that link. i am going to slow down on the garlic consumption. i went from 1 clove every other day to 3 or 4 cloves per day. I no longer trust that it is safe except in small amounts, and i may switch to the aged kyolic.This proves my point that I am fighting this illness blind and I have also stated my desire to not have to take the herbs because of possible side effects. however, they seem to keep some of my symptoms in complete remission like gas and cramping.MNL,is there any chance you could give us a brief synopsis (2 sentences) of what dr keith eaton has stated in chapter (21????) of brostoff's book. I am dying to know but I don't want to buy the book just yet. eventually i will.my opinion is that people can develop a hypersensitivity along with an overgrowth of fungus/yeast in their colon and maybe the small intestines. under the correct circumstances this overgrowth will cause multiple problems. I think a lot of it depends on the person's unique genetic makeup.the mayo clinic findings on fungus and sinusitis was fascinating. they showed a strong (undeniable) link between fungus and an atypical immune responce to the fungus. elevated eosinophils were found in almost every case. I strongly suspect that this could play a strong role in some IBSers symptoms.

·
Registered
294 Posts
how'd you do with kyolic, kel? i haven't taken it for years: it made me so sick i actually thought i might die (dramaqueen much?! no really). because of this i suspect intolerance, with weaker reactions, to the rest of the allium family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts