Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Heather's book, I eliminated known trigger foods and have been eating only soluble fiber foods for about 6 wks. My symptoms (D with bloating, gas) resolved and now I need to add on some foods, esp protein, which is my most serious trigger. Have followed the boards and talked to numerous doc's over the past year. I am going to need medication or something to help me tolerate proteins. Have some options in mind, but I can't decide what to try first. I am very sensitive to medications and am so reluctant to try anything, but I have to find a way to eat some protein! Here's my list of possibilities:(1) antispasmodics. Got vague directions from doc, to take before protein food. No info on how long to continue. (2) cromolyn. usually used for food allergies, success story a while ago on D board. I do have a lot of allergies, none documented to foods. (3) probiotics and/or enzymes. I have gotten serious colon irritation from probiotics, reluctant to try again. (3) fiber supplement . I successfully use fiber supplement for C, but I would really have to work on finding a good dose for normal use, plus would it help for food intolerance?I'm going round and round with these in my mind and thought maybe someone can help me find a way to think about this next step. Each doctor has their own theories and ideas, and none of them seems willing to discuss other options until I try theirs, and most want me try antispasmodics. Thanks for your ideas.Rosie

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would probably suggest the food enzymes. They are different from the probiotics, they only contain enzymes that your body should already be producing to help break down food better. Start off with small amounts of protein, what usually happens when you eat it?? If you get D with it, you probably didn't have enough soluble fiber with it. Maybe try on sandwich on nice thick bread with some chicken or turkey. Buy it right from the deli or slice your own, don't eat the processed stuff. Maybe try some chopped up chicken tossed in with some pasta.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't say enough good about probiotics! A lot of times when people begin a natural treatment, they will experience a brief WORSENING of their symptoms before they get better. As the toxins built up in your body are released they will indeed make you sick. But if you stick with the probiotics I think you will find that once you have gotten rid of the toxins you will feel much better than you did before you started taking them. I am on a probiotic supplement right now that has 11 strains of friendly bacteria (the plain old acidophilus wasn't cutting it for me) and I'll admit that a week after starting them I felt the worst I have in years and for the longest. But after a few days I suddenly felt TONS better and have continued to feel good since. I am also taking enzymes and have found that they really help when I eat protein or fatty foods (which used to make me feel nauseous EVERY TIME I ate them). My Dr. (allopathic and a GP, but FABULOUS) said I might as well try the enzymes and that it wouldn't hurt if I didn't need them after all. I don't know if antispasmodics would help much. From what I've heard they don't do much good and can even swing you the other way into constipation. Then again, I know this only by hearsay and don't have any personal experience. I have taken Donatol (sp?) and Donagel (sp?) in the past for IBS. I don't know if they are antispasmodics or pain relievers, but they did take the edge off the pain. My symptoms were not completely relieved, however, and I did become constipated on those meds.Good luck! I understand; I feel completely overwhelmed by info as well. I wish someone could tell me exactly what I need to do to get all better instead of having to spend years trying all sorts of crazy things only to find out what DOESN'T work. *sigh*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.