Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many people have had questions about how clincial hypnotherapy (CHT) can work effectively for us IBS patients, and while there is a lot of info out there, sometimes we just don't have the time to sort through it all - or we have questions specific to us.Michael Mahoney felt it might be useful to those who are considering using this method - OR those who are in the process - to get some information and questions answered via a live chat. When Mike first came to this BB in 1998, he joined us in social chats that would end up with us asking him tons of questions, and he gave of his time freely. His schedule now is so full that he has not been able to take part over here, but we felt this may be a way for him to at least touch base - and if the folks here find it helpful, it could become a "scheduled" chat time as it used to be a few years ago. Many people found it helpful and encouraging.The first portion of the chat would consist of a brief informational introduction, where hypnotherapy is explained, research and information about its use with IBS and how it works, and the brain-gut connection.Also, the most common questions would be addressed within this first introduction portion - you can reply to this thread with any questions within this topic, and the answers may be included in the intial introduction. During this intro portion, there would be no "chat" interaction.The second part of the chat would open up to your questions and comments that were NOT covered in the intro - they should be somewhat general in nature, and related specifically to IBS and hypnotherapy for its use; not for IBS diagnostics or conditions not directly related to IBS. We are considering two chat times - one for Canada and the US, and one for the UK and Europe - of course, you could "attend" either or both. Dates and times will be determined in the near future.Michael works in a busy medical centre practice with patients from all walks of life with many different health issues and emotional concerns, and has treated thousands of IBS patients successfully. He has clinical trials research based on 3 years of follow-up using CHT for IBS. Mike also works with cardiac patients, breast cancer recovery, smoking, OCD, PTSD, and a wide range of many other health issues.More information to follow! Take care.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Mike is a great person and a professional for sure and well worth chatting with for help.We also know Marilyn wants to help and has been helping for years now and is very good at it and extremely nice and polite.
A person has nothing to lose and a lot to gain.He has helped a whole lot of IBSers and has a lot of experience and has seen a lot. He has excellent insights into IBS and knows how to say things which make sense and are easy to understand. I really hope people take an interests in this and take some time for it. Not just for HT, but also for support and the caring of people it could become. HT is also a known succesful treatment for IBS with a very high success responce to the treatment and has been research for the last twenty years, although it is often misunderstood by the general public and misunderstood on why you would use it for IBS.This is from a major IBS researcher doctor at the UNC.Why Consider Hypnosis Treatment for IBS?by Olafur S. Palsson, Psy.D.Hypnosis is only one of several approaches to treating irritable bowel syndrome and may not be the most suitable option for all patients (click here for discussion of treatment options for IBS). However, hypnosis treatment has some advantages which makes it an attractive option for many IBS sufferers with chronic and severe symptoms:- It is one of the most successful treatment approaches for chronic IBS. The response rate to treatment is 80% and better in most published studies to date. - The treatment often helps individuals who have failed to get improvements with other methods (see for example: Whorwell et al., 1984, 1987; Palsson et al., 1997, 2000).- It is a uniquely comfortable form of treatment; relaxing, easy and generally enjoyable.- It utilizes the healing power of the person's own mind, and is generally completely without negative side effects. - The treatment sometimes results in improvement in other symptoms or problems such as migraine or tension headaches, along with the improvement in IBS symptoms.- The beneficial effects of the treatment last long after the end of the course of treatment. According to research, individuals who improve from hypnosis treatment for IBS can generally look forward to years of reduced bowel symptoms. http://www.ibshypnosis.com/whyhypnosis.htmlOverview of Published Research To Date on Hypnosis for IBShttp://www.ibshypnosis.com/IBSresearch.html

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump for inquiries - Also, Mike's protocol is gut specific thus similar to Dr. Palsson's gut -directed approach, though they are not the same program. Mike's program is available to the public to listen to in the privacy of their own home.Mandy - glad you are interested - we will post the date and time if this goes through!Best to all.~ Marilyn

·
Registered
232 Posts
What does bump mean? I've been getting terribly anxious lately, I think from so much thinking about my IBS. I'd like to just sit and watch mike & others chat about it & maybe calm some of my nerves about it. count me in, if I'm not in school or work or yoga or whatever else I've got to occupy my nervous time

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
It is amazing hypnotherapy.How people react and even control their pain.Yes let me know,i'm curious about those things.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd like to reach the point as well when I find it amazing. My future mother in law commented on how amazing the human body was and how it adapts to things. Right now I feel like my human body is a pain in my arse. Which I'm sure does not help the IBS. Some Love your Mind, Love your Body stuff will be helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.