Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the US...Due to a potential job change for my husband, I may have to look to self insurance (rather than through his employer).I'm thinking that I may have to pay a higher rate due to my "preexisting" IBS (ugh). Anyone have any suggestions/tips for finding self insurance (not through an employer)?Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check to see if you can get insurance through your state. You do have to qualify( like making under a certain amount) but that's how I got mine. I go through Healthy New York. I have Independent Health to be exact. There is that annoying pre-existing condition clause though. They will not cover your IBS related stuff for one year. I'm paying about 200 a month for single coverage.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Also often when you leave a job usually you can pay for the Cobra coverage which is the same as what you had just you make the payments not the employer.You might check into that to cover things for I think my Cobra was 18 months? It may be cheaper than the self-insurance.If there is any organization that you belong to that does group insurance coverage I would look in that direction as well. K.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sometimes, I find health insurance to be the most frustrating thing about all of this. You can look at Cobra, though if it was your husband's employer and he's picking up coverage for himself through his new employer you may not be eligible. Cobra can also be very expensive.Some of the larger organizations do offer healthcare, I know AARP does, but can't think of any other off the top of my head. It might be worth joining a club just for the insurance. I have a friend who has it through a freelancer's union, and he's never actually worked for them, just joined the union. It's cheaper for him to pay the union dues and get the insurance than to get insurance outside.You may want to shop around on the net. There might be a coverage that will work for you depending on your condition. If you don't end up in the ER a lot and have had the major tests done, you might find it affordably.IBS is so prevalant, I don't know it to be a problem with some companies. It didn't seem to be when I was shopping around. If you're a smoker, that they do ask a lot about and will charge you up the ying yang for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.