Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
That is interesting Steve. I guess all fermentation isn't bad. I wonder if it could be good for some and bad for others depending on your floral balance. It doesn't exactly say which fibers are more fermentable does it? I couldn't get in on that URL search site. Something about my IP not recognizing it or them not recognizing my IP? As you see, I am not that computor savy. How have you been lately Steve. I havn't seen you around much. I have been doing a lot of surfing for info myself, while this site was down.[This message has been edited by moldie (edited 04-18-2000).]

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: guess all fermentation isn't bad.
It's actually a requirement for health of the colon. No fermentation and the colon gets very sick (e.g., diversion colitis). The only "bad" fermentation appears to be the production of gas, especially odoriferous gases and the reason for that is that these gases are poisonous to the colon.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
moldie--I've been a little better than I was a couple of weeks ago, but still not back to the level I was before. I'm currently taking Bentyl. I don't know if it has anything to do with the very slight improvement, but I only had one way to go--up. Gas didn't used to be a problem for me, but it is now to some extent.Theories about where things went wrong:1) Some as yet unidentified trigger.2) Stress3) Both 1 & 24) virus?Incidentally, I have not tried the inulin or other fermentable fibers...although I do occasionally eat a whole wheat spaghetti which includes the jerusalum artichoke flour which apparently contains this inulin stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts