Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this article interesting, especially where I have read people on the BB are having luck with cereal. This article says soluable fiber like metamucil and Perdiem are useless in stimulating the bowel. People with C need insoluable fiber as found in cereal. I am going on vacation in two weeks, so its not a good time for me to try something new, but I really think after my vacation I might give this routine a shot. Let me know what you think. www.ruddclinic.com/patientcare-6.html ------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)[This message has been edited by Rose (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think you have that backward.Soluble=Metamucil et all (well 90%)Insoluble = Cereals, esp bran.From the site you cited.
quote:You should be aware that there are two types of fiber: insoluble and soluble. Soluble fiber is absorbed into the blood stream and is of no help in the bowel. Metamucil and psyllium-containing products are 90% soluble and only 10% insoluble. The best source of insoluble fiber is cereal. Some cereals are much higher in insoluble fiber than others.
I'm not sure about the soluble being absorbed into the blood thing. Any given fiber molecule is too large. Soluble fibers are more likely to be femented by the bacteria in the colon so at least may in part be broken down, but the colon doesn't absorb the sugar molecules they are made out of.... so that confuses me.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think you have that backward.Soluble=Metamucil et all (well 90%)Insoluble = Cereals, esp bran.From the site you cited.
quote:You should be aware that there are two types of fiber: insoluble and soluble. Soluble fiber is absorbed into the blood stream and is of no help in the bowel. Metamucil and psyllium-containing products are 90% soluble and only 10% insoluble. The best source of insoluble fiber is cereal. Some cereals are much higher in insoluble fiber than others.
I'm not sure about the soluble being absorbed into the blood thing. Any given fiber molecule is too large. Soluble fibers are more likely to be femented by the bacteria in the colon so at least may in part be broken down, but the colon doesn't absorb the sugar molecules they are made out of.... so that confuses me.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already caught my mistake and corrected it.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already caught my mistake and corrected it.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

G

·
anyone tried the glycerin suppositories recommended in this article? they've never been recommended to me before. i wonder why.also, why do you think these authors overlook ibs as the cause of constipation?

G

·
anyone tried the glycerin suppositories recommended in this article? they've never been recommended to me before. i wonder why.also, why do you think these authors overlook ibs as the cause of constipation?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not know why IBS was not mentioned in conjunction with the Constipation, but I do know Dr. Rudd who wrote the article runs the Rudd Clinic in Toronto. The clinic deals with diseases of the colon and rectum. I asked Jeff about him. Jeff said both Dr. Rudd and the clinic are well known and well respected, although he personally has not had any experiences with Dr. Rudd or the clinic.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not know why IBS was not mentioned in conjunction with the Constipation, but I do know Dr. Rudd who wrote the article runs the Rudd Clinic in Toronto. The clinic deals with diseases of the colon and rectum. I asked Jeff about him. Jeff said both Dr. Rudd and the clinic are well known and well respected, although he personally has not had any experiences with Dr. Rudd or the clinic.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Rose, I would agree with the article on the need for water if you take insoluable fiber as my mom almost died from intestinal blockage due to eating too much bran and ingesting too little water. I have almost no soluable fiber in my diet as I can't eat fruit or vegetables. Bran bloats me. So I eat very little food, lots of water, and just oatmeal and Triscuits. So relative to the amount of food I eat, I ingest a lot of insoluable fiber. I disagree with reading on the toilet. I need 1-2 hours of private time in the bathroom each morning in which I read and write. By taking my mind off the task, I'm able to relax and have a BM each morning. It took years to be able to achieve this given my IBS-C and I get up at whatever hour I need to to have my 3 oatmeal cookies and my 3 cups of hot coffee and my 1-2 hours in the morning (sometimes that means I get up at 4:30 AM for a morning meeting). I have not taken senna or a laxative or an enema in years.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Rose, I would agree with the article on the need for water if you take insoluable fiber as my mom almost died from intestinal blockage due to eating too much bran and ingesting too little water. I have almost no soluable fiber in my diet as I can't eat fruit or vegetables. Bran bloats me. So I eat very little food, lots of water, and just oatmeal and Triscuits. So relative to the amount of food I eat, I ingest a lot of insoluable fiber. I disagree with reading on the toilet. I need 1-2 hours of private time in the bathroom each morning in which I read and write. By taking my mind off the task, I'm able to relax and have a BM each morning. It took years to be able to achieve this given my IBS-C and I get up at whatever hour I need to to have my 3 oatmeal cookies and my 3 cups of hot coffee and my 1-2 hours in the morning (sometimes that means I get up at 4:30 AM for a morning meeting). I have not taken senna or a laxative or an enema in years.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Gail,Wow there is no way I could spend 1-2 hours sitting on the throne..reading and writing...I think I would forget what I was there for.
It's funny how people are so different.
I get up early every morning also. 5:00 a.m. to be exact in order to be at work by 9:00 and I only have a 20 minute drive. I get up that early, because I HAVE to feel "relaxed" and not "rushed" in order to "GO". I get up and have a couple of cups of coffee and read the newspaper, which takes about an hour...and then if I am lucky, I can "GO"...but I am just in and out. I don't sit there for more than a couple of minutes. If I am really lucky, I might go one or two more times before I leave the house...and even then, I don't feel "done", which could be because of the Perdiem w/senna, I don't know, which is why I would like to try to get off it. I also wonder if taking senna for so long will affect how Zelnorm will work for me (if it ever gets approved, that is) I really think after my vacation, I am going to try the routine described in this article and see how I do. I will probably take a long time for me to be able to "go" without the senna. ------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Gail,Wow there is no way I could spend 1-2 hours sitting on the throne..reading and writing...I think I would forget what I was there for.
It's funny how people are so different.
I get up early every morning also. 5:00 a.m. to be exact in order to be at work by 9:00 and I only have a 20 minute drive. I get up that early, because I HAVE to feel "relaxed" and not "rushed" in order to "GO". I get up and have a couple of cups of coffee and read the newspaper, which takes about an hour...and then if I am lucky, I can "GO"...but I am just in and out. I don't sit there for more than a couple of minutes. If I am really lucky, I might go one or two more times before I leave the house...and even then, I don't feel "done", which could be because of the Perdiem w/senna, I don't know, which is why I would like to try to get off it. I also wonder if taking senna for so long will affect how Zelnorm will work for me (if it ever gets approved, that is) I really think after my vacation, I am going to try the routine described in this article and see how I do. I will probably take a long time for me to be able to "go" without the senna. ------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I don't get that statement "never, ever read on the toilet". I've NEVER met a man that didn't read on the toilet and I've never been close to a man that had bowel troubles. I always read on the toilet, it is part of my relaxation to be able to go.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I don't get that statement "never, ever read on the toilet". I've NEVER met a man that didn't read on the toilet and I've never been close to a man that had bowel troubles. I always read on the toilet, it is part of my relaxation to be able to go.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi Rose! Great article! The All Bran worked for me but I had to stop using it because of the gas and cramping. I would never eat it in the morning though. I always had about 1/4c in the evening as a snack. I might try it again since I'm taking Bentyl daily now to help the spasms. That was interesting to read about the Perdiem also! Hope it works for you.------------------C-Type IBS (slow motility)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi Rose! Great article! The All Bran worked for me but I had to stop using it because of the gas and cramping. I would never eat it in the morning though. I always had about 1/4c in the evening as a snack. I might try it again since I'm taking Bentyl daily now to help the spasms. That was interesting to read about the Perdiem also! Hope it works for you.------------------C-Type IBS (slow motility)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Rose, I'd love to be able to be in and out of the bathroom in a few minutes. Never was able to do that even as a child. My system is soooo slow. Even when I do get the urge, it just takes forever. The only time that was different was when I took the Zelnorm. I was in and out fast -- like a normal person.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Rose, I'd love to be able to be in and out of the bathroom in a few minutes. Never was able to do that even as a child. My system is soooo slow. Even when I do get the urge, it just takes forever. The only time that was different was when I took the Zelnorm. I was in and out fast -- like a normal person.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.