Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday, the fourth day after I suddenly fell ill with some sort of gastroenteritis, I seemed not to be doing as well as I had expected based on improvements late Sunday evening. I'd still had no BMs since the end of the diarrhea episode early Friday, and was bloated, bound-up and a little crampy. Driving my car felt very strange and I wasn't able to finish my breakfast of a small amount of cottage cheese. At lunchtime, hungry but still woozy, I went to a nearby Whole Foods market and wandered around for half an hour unable to settle on anything I thought I could eat. I finally decided on some roasted pears from the salad bar. They had a bit of oil, but no sugar added.In perusing my homeopathy books on Sunday I had come across Bryonia for this type of illness, and it seemed to match almost perfectly what had happened to me over the weekend. I picked some up at Whole Foods and took the pellets on the way out. I had a slight fog-lifting sensation almost immediately. About five minutes later I passed the largest amount of gas I'd been able to expel since getting sick, and my bowel function continued to normalize from that point. By the time I got back to my desk 15 minutes later I was ready to tackle those pears. I ate them with relish and none of the queasy, maybe-this-wants-to-come-back-up feeling. In the late afternoon I was able to enjoy the barley and bean salad I had picked up in the morning on the chance that I would eventually feel well enough to eat it.I might have been "due" for the improvement anyhow, but at the very least I think the Bryonia goosed it. The change was a pretty sharp turn within less than an hour of the remedy.I have yet to attempt using homeopathics for my chronic issues, and indeed I feel unqualified to do so. This however was what some would call "homeopathic first aid" and I do practice that. If you do too, and you should happen to get a flu-like gut bug this season, check Bryonia and see if it makes sense for you. The Arsenicum I took the first day did help some, I think, because the fever broke soon after, but Bryonia might have been an even better first resort for me.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
cranky,i want to discuss homeopathy with people who have tried it. in 1 hour i will have my 2nd visit with my new homeopath. i can't talk about what has happened the past month on my new remedy because the remedy is a 1LM a much gentler remedy, it definitely worked but the whole issue is complicated.the GI problems may have eased up a bit concerning 1 very specific symptom but i can not confirm it so i will not mention it.homeopathy and even acupuncture are 2 of my most promising healing methods that may reverse a lifetime of illness. i know they work but i do not know the limits of each.gotta run.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
cranky,i want to discuss homeopathy with people who have tried it. in 1 hour i will have my 2nd visit with my new homeopath. i can't talk about what has happened the past month on my new remedy because the remedy is a 1LM a much gentler remedy, it definitely worked but the whole issue is complicated.the GI problems may have eased up a bit concerning 1 very specific symptom but i can not confirm it so i will not mention it.homeopathy and even acupuncture are 2 of my most promising healing methods that may reverse a lifetime of illness. i know they work but i do not know the limits of each.gotta run.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So Kel, how have you been taking the remedies? Just one dose of each? If you took more than one dose, did you have to change potencies? How much time did your practitioners allow for each remedy to exert its full effect? Also, I'm curious why you changed homeopaths? (Sorry if I missed that in an earlier post.)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Kel, how have you been taking the remedies? Just one dose of each? If you took more than one dose, did you have to change potencies? How much time did your practitioners allow for each remedy to exert its full effect? Also, I'm curious why you changed homeopaths? (Sorry if I missed that in an earlier post.)

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
lek,you works on many front.I heard from a Frenchhomeopath that nux vomica is the cure for ibs.She was links at a great French web site.I was surprise to heard a claim like that but never go on it because i think it was homeopathyand do not believe it.I mean,why nobody talk about nux vomica?Anyway,is there any nux vomica in their bottle?Anything who can help me is appreciated.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
lek,you works on many front.I heard from a Frenchhomeopath that nux vomica is the cure for ibs.She was links at a great French web site.I was surprise to heard a claim like that but never go on it because i think it was homeopathyand do not believe it.I mean,why nobody talk about nux vomica?Anyway,is there any nux vomica in their bottle?Anything who can help me is appreciated.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Frank,Most people do not think that homeopathy works. Homeopathy does not conform to the strict demands of the dbpc study due to its rather individualistic nature. Because it does not conform to the dbpc studies it is usually dismissed by the science people. However, when a person goes “mining” for studies they can come up with dozens of positive studies to support whatever position they are trying to support.Practical/clinical experience reveals the truth that it does indeed work. The results can be dramatic; they can also be painfully slow. Homeopathy will not correct many problems especially when tissue damage is present such as emphysema.Nux vomica will not cure IBS in the sense that the remedies only work for those people that it matches up with. I.E., one sinus sufferer will respond to a remedy totally unique to other sufferers. It all depends on the symptom picture. There are some exceptions to this though – I believe cranky has mentioned arnica as a good remedy for joint muscle pain???Cranky,The 1M doses were given in single doses spaced 2 months apart. This wiped out my chronic irritability and a toxic/sick feeling that I had every day for about 7 years. Then I switched to a much more experienced homeopath (the 1st one wanted to do acupuncture on me instead) and he put me on a daily 1 LM dose of lycopodium. I only took this for a month straight, but it quit working after 3 weeks. The short term effects were obvious but I am uncertain at this point if the effects are going to be lasting. Things turned into a blur and I could no longer unscramble the symptom picture.Yesterday after a 45 minute consult he decided to give me a medium potency remedy of sulfur. Sulfur is considered a good polycrest and therefore it is likely to have an impact on many people. His plan is to study my case and see if he can get a better match for me. Homeopathy has caused my body to react in some very strange ways. My response to him yesterday was that it “almost seems to be getting my body to kill off bacteria”. I stated this due to several phenomena that happens within a week of the remedy such as intense foul odors, diarrhea and gas that is foul in odor… Odor has not been a problem for me in over 18 months yet the intensity of it makes me strongly believe that my body is throwing something off. The list of odd phenomena is extremely long and all I know is that I was a SERIOUS doubter that homeopathy could do as claimed but now I know otherwise.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Frank,Most people do not think that homeopathy works. Homeopathy does not conform to the strict demands of the dbpc study due to its rather individualistic nature. Because it does not conform to the dbpc studies it is usually dismissed by the science people. However, when a person goes “mining” for studies they can come up with dozens of positive studies to support whatever position they are trying to support.Practical/clinical experience reveals the truth that it does indeed work. The results can be dramatic; they can also be painfully slow. Homeopathy will not correct many problems especially when tissue damage is present such as emphysema.Nux vomica will not cure IBS in the sense that the remedies only work for those people that it matches up with. I.E., one sinus sufferer will respond to a remedy totally unique to other sufferers. It all depends on the symptom picture. There are some exceptions to this though – I believe cranky has mentioned arnica as a good remedy for joint muscle pain???Cranky,The 1M doses were given in single doses spaced 2 months apart. This wiped out my chronic irritability and a toxic/sick feeling that I had every day for about 7 years. Then I switched to a much more experienced homeopath (the 1st one wanted to do acupuncture on me instead) and he put me on a daily 1 LM dose of lycopodium. I only took this for a month straight, but it quit working after 3 weeks. The short term effects were obvious but I am uncertain at this point if the effects are going to be lasting. Things turned into a blur and I could no longer unscramble the symptom picture.Yesterday after a 45 minute consult he decided to give me a medium potency remedy of sulfur. Sulfur is considered a good polycrest and therefore it is likely to have an impact on many people. His plan is to study my case and see if he can get a better match for me. Homeopathy has caused my body to react in some very strange ways. My response to him yesterday was that it “almost seems to be getting my body to kill off bacteria”. I stated this due to several phenomena that happens within a week of the remedy such as intense foul odors, diarrhea and gas that is foul in odor… Odor has not been a problem for me in over 18 months yet the intensity of it makes me strongly believe that my body is throwing something off. The list of odd phenomena is extremely long and all I know is that I was a SERIOUS doubter that homeopathy could do as claimed but now I know otherwise.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:practical/clinical experience reveals the truth that it does indeed work
Practical/clinical experience reveals the truth that it is indeed useless.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:practical/clinical experience reveals the truth that it does indeed work
Practical/clinical experience reveals the truth that it is indeed useless.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Practical/clinical experience even in regular medicine (much less alternative practices) has been so often shown to be 100% WRONG about what the doctors experiences in the clinic told them was going on...Why should homeopathic medicine be the exception to that rule????For example, from recent news.Sham Knee Surgeries (put the patient under cut a couple of holes and stitch them up) was JUST as effective as a surgery that based on practical/clinical experience was shown to be the best way to treat certain knee problems. Apparently just thinking the doctor did something to fix the knee was just as effective.HRT lowers the risk of heart disease, etc.When the finally did studies designed to really tell what was going on all the clinical/practical experience was whon to be about was that wealthy women get HRT and get better over all health care so tend to die less from heart disease...But of course when it comes to homeopathic or other alternative practioners their experience must in all ways always reveal the ultimate truth that science cannot
or something like that?????K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Practical/clinical experience even in regular medicine (much less alternative practices) has been so often shown to be 100% WRONG about what the doctors experiences in the clinic told them was going on...Why should homeopathic medicine be the exception to that rule????For example, from recent news.Sham Knee Surgeries (put the patient under cut a couple of holes and stitch them up) was JUST as effective as a surgery that based on practical/clinical experience was shown to be the best way to treat certain knee problems. Apparently just thinking the doctor did something to fix the knee was just as effective.HRT lowers the risk of heart disease, etc.When the finally did studies designed to really tell what was going on all the clinical/practical experience was whon to be about was that wealthy women get HRT and get better over all health care so tend to die less from heart disease...But of course when it comes to homeopathic or other alternative practioners their experience must in all ways always reveal the ultimate truth that science cannot
or something like that?????K.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
we put our points of view to "the test" all the time. i've tried to describe it, is that some want us to put our points of view, not "to the test," but "to your test." personally, i have no objection if others are interested in doing this. personally, i can agree that the dbpc has the potential to offer some illumination; personally, however, i can't agree that it is the gold standard of opinion, objectivity, or science. it is only a piece, a single tool in the toolbox of science. clinicians practice daily the fine art of scientific observation, on a small scale, in their consulting rooms; now and then, one of their kind makes a grand leap into what is virtually another intellectual dimension, and our literature is enriched by his name: darwin, freud, piaget, hahnemann. men who observed, catalogued, organized, systematized. this is what many do day-by-day in their offices. as a "thought experiment," try applying the dbpc to Die Traumbeutung, or The Origin of Species.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
we put our points of view to "the test" all the time. i've tried to describe it, is that some want us to put our points of view, not "to the test," but "to your test." personally, i have no objection if others are interested in doing this. personally, i can agree that the dbpc has the potential to offer some illumination; personally, however, i can't agree that it is the gold standard of opinion, objectivity, or science. it is only a piece, a single tool in the toolbox of science. clinicians practice daily the fine art of scientific observation, on a small scale, in their consulting rooms; now and then, one of their kind makes a grand leap into what is virtually another intellectual dimension, and our literature is enriched by his name: darwin, freud, piaget, hahnemann. men who observed, catalogued, organized, systematized. this is what many do day-by-day in their offices. as a "thought experiment," try applying the dbpc to Die Traumbeutung, or The Origin of Species.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kel,Thank you for elaborating on your treatment experience. I'm sorry it's so difficult to discuss these things in a static-free environment.Re: arnica, it seems to be extraordinarily effective for acute soft-tissue injury (bruises, sports injuries, that sort of thing). Whether it's any good for long-standing joint and muscle pain depends more on the individual, I think.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kel,Thank you for elaborating on your treatment experience. I'm sorry it's so difficult to discuss these things in a static-free environment.Re: arnica, it seems to be extraordinarily effective for acute soft-tissue injury (bruises, sports injuries, that sort of thing). Whether it's any good for long-standing joint and muscle pain depends more on the individual, I think.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see we have exactly what I was afraid I was going to find on this thread today.The people here who are interested in getting well, and helping others get well, should continue to speak their minds. Those who are merely interested in hammering a political agenda or just plain trolling and taunting need to zip it. If they don't, I, for one, will stop visiting this board. It's not worth the aggravation.I'd like to remind all those who need reminding, and clearly at least one person does, that the title of this forum is "The IBS SELF-HELP AND SUPPORT Group Bulletin Board..." I'd like to advise all those who need advising to stop wasting energy trying to goad people. Others more generous of spirit may respond as if there were a good-faith debate going on here. I will choose not to.I must say I'd also like to know what our moderator would do if everyone in this forum used his or her signature as the vehicle for a campaign to totally discredit another user...

1 - 20 of 265 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.