Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of mention of lactose intolerance on this BB in the past. Flux and others have suggested that it may not be classic lactose intolerance that causes the problems for so many of us who eat dairy products. I think he mentioned a food alergy as another possible explanation. Well, I'd like to offer still another. I've been doing some reading and unsophisticated self-experimentation on seratonin precursers. Interestingly I've found that dairy is one of several foods high in tryptophan, a seratonin precurser. While I can not make a strong connection yet, I seem to have generally worse symptoms (most not all symptoms) when I eat the following foods: milk, eggs, & turkey. Bananas, which also are supposedly high in tryptophan, I'm not so sure about. A month or so ago I tried one dosage of 5-HTP. The next day my IBS went wild. One try is surely not enough to make any conclusions, but I find all this very interesting. Lately I've been eating a lot of eggs and banannas and my colon spasms seem to have been a lot worse. A connection? Starting today I plan to give up all the foods high in tryptohpan of which I'm aware (eggs, milk, turkey and banannas). I will let you know what happens. Does anyone out there know of any other foods that are high in tryptophan? How about any other foods high in other seratonin precursers? Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jim,Eggs and milk bother me also, but turkey and bananas don't bother me at all. Check your e-mail - just sent you a message.Ellie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,In animal models, 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)supplementation produces D. In mice, at least this D is due to stimulation of the 5-HT4 receptor. I'll ask the registered dietitian I work with for a list of high-tryptophan foods.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts