Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I especially find this part interesting: "Secondary Lactose Intolerance (SLI) Lactase is made in a delicate and vulnerable part of the small intestine. If the intestine is damaged, so is the body's ability to manufacture lactase. This condition is called Secondary Lactose Intolerance to distinguish it from the natural gradual loss of lactase ability. The list of conditions that can bring on SLI is a long one. Many diseases can, from a simple gastrointestinal flu (very common in infants) to deadly illness like cancer. Operations to the small intestine, especially those that remove portions of it, are also a leading cause. But some drugs can produce it, and so can long-term trauma to the body as in alcoholism. Whether SLI is temporary or permanent depends on the cause. Often the condition goes away after the intestines have had time to heal. Infants may become temporarily intolerant several times in just a couple of years. On the other hand, if you are an adult who was beginning to lose your lactase-producing ability naturally, even a slight shock to the intestine may cause a permanent inability."------------------Missycat

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
You should probably rephrase that first statement, for those of you who believe you are lactose intolerant....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But seriously Missycat, what you focused on with the infants is interesting to me because we know that new borns are not to be fed infant cereal or processed foods for a full year because infants do not have the enzymes necessary to digest foods properly, and may later in adulthood cause serious digestive disorders. With that, one could conclude that it is possible that IBS may have been induced during infancy.Now a new and harder dilemma: What is the proportion of breast and formula fed infants, to othose infants who received cereals and other processing foods during the first year of infancy, and do the infants who received solid foods suffer disporportionally with digestive disorders?My guess is that most people who received foods during the first year now suffer with digestive disorders.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
It is true that bottle-fed infants suffer from GI infections more often and more severely than breast-fed. We know that breast-fed and bottle-fed babies have different kinds of bacteria in their guts.Breast-fed babies make more short-chain fatty acids in their guts, and their stools are more acidic. In addition, they produce less gas in the guts.As to whether this translates into something later in life (e.g, incidence of IBS, colon cancer) is currently unknown.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Fluz! Ohmigod! You finally posted something that I find truly useful! Thank you! I was a bottle-fed baby and I have IBS. Think there's a correlation?
Very interesting! My fiance was adopted when he was 4 days old and was a bottle-fed baby. While he doesn't have IBS, he has a ton of sensitivities to different foods! When he was a baby, he'd throw up just about everything. So now he avoids a lot of food groups he should probably eat, but he can't bring himself to try them again. I sometimes get frustrated with him, but then again, eating something you think might make you sick probably will, so it's best to avoid it if you can't talk yourself out of it.Mind-body-mind-body-mind!------------------Missycat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts