Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have IC and due to my Ibs all medications to control it seemed to constipate me or give me D. So I've tried every medication and have run out. I'm getting a bladder distention done. Hopefully by Christmas. I've been on the list since last December. Just wondering if anyone has had success with this procedure before. I really hope it works. If you can share this experienc with me I'd love to hear your results. ThanksKeep fit and have fun

·
Registered
66 Posts
overactive bladder and ic are not the same. i have overactive bladder diarrhea and i take detrol. it doesn't get me constipated, maybe you should try other meds. maybe another one won't get you so constipated. another med for overactive bladder is ditropan. hope this helps. if you have other questions feel free to email me. i have had overactive bladder for a few years, but was diagnosed two years ago. god bless you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Faith I have tried all the medications you can. When I went on the last one my doctor said this was the last medication we could try for IC. IC stands for interstitial cystitis. I think one major difference between that and overactive bladder is the pelvic pain that accompanies it. Can't wait to hear some more responses. Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I have never heard of emiron before. I'll look into that and see what my doctor says. I am C dominant so that may be a difference but thanks atleast I may have another drug option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can I jump in and ask Faith how detrol works. I took it for the first time today and my stomach is hurting quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's from cramps or the meds. Did you get abdominal pain when you first started taking it? Has it reduced your symptoms? Have you done anything else that helps symptoms of overactive bladder?

G

·
How is IC diagnosed? I have all its earmarks, I've just been too chicken to go for the diagnosis. I experience pain, compromised capacity, inability to void without straining and clouding of urine on a regular basis. It's as if my bladder controls me due to all of the discomfort. I can't take Detrol because of parasympathetic nervous system malfunction... in other words, if I took it, I'd be peeing my pants all the time....
I am curious about reponses here as well.Evie

·
Registered
153 Posts
Generally, IC is diagnosed through a cystoscopy with hydrodistention. It only takes a few minutes, but it has to be done under anesthesia because it can cause excruciating pain for IC patients. You can also have an office cystoscopy done, but again, -- if you have IC -- it's probably going to be painful. Sometimes a urologist will look at your symptoms, make sure the anatomy is healthy (cystoscopy), and start a patient on Elmiron if (s)he really believes you have IC, just to avoid a trip to the OR. Feel free to ask more questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.