Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I would like to talk to someone who has been on Neomycin.It is claimed that it could help type C.But how do you prevent the symptoms to reoccurs?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Thx David, I'm looking forward to reading his book. He sounds like a really nice guy...esp liked the last para. It doesn't sound like he's touting a cure, but rather a way to improve symptoms enough to live a more normal life. That's how I got to a normal life, by treating it as a bacterial imbalance in the gut...And I like that he believes IBS has had the stigma of being a mental problem/stress needlessly & for too long when the problem is bacteria(read that somewhere else)...I'm more inclined to believe the problem starts in the colon rather than the sm intestine, based on my own experience & all the research I've read that says IBSrs are low in the good bugs in the colon. But either way, I think his research coupled w/ others will help bring abt a true cure some day, I hope...I just wish he'd talk more abt taking probiotics during the antibiotic course to off set the chance of an antibiotic resistant bacterial overgrowth, and perhaps more importantly, it's the good bacteria being killed by the antibiotics that help keep intestinal inflammation down & have many other immune functions..maybe he does in his book...Along those lines, although somewhat outdated(this was WAY b4 he started using Rifaximin, an antibiotic that reportedly has little or no associated antibiotic resistant bugs)~"Gastroenterologist John O. Hunter of Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, England, rates the study as "interesting." However, he says that the work doesn't firmly establish that the hydrogen detected is being produced by bacteria in the small intestine rather than the large intestine.He also notes that the lower gut(colon) harbors "a complex little ecosystem." Antibiotics can destroy valuable bacteria in the large intestine and throw the system off balance, Hunter cautions."We don't want people just to give antibiotics to everybody," Pimentel says. He acknowledges that wholesale killing of bacteria in the small intestine also zaps microbes in the large intestine. But these grow back within about 5 days, Pimentel says.Some of the people who improved dramatically from the antibiotics, suffered relapses within a few months, he notes. For that reason, he and his colleagues don't yet consider antibiotics a cure for IBS.Nevertheless, the findings could guide future research. Says Pimentel: "We think we've found a target.""Science News, Dec 23, 2000http://www.looksmartrecreation.com/p/artic...951680#continueThey found a target! I love it...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Talissa,-Yes..I really believe Dr. Pimentel is on the right track. Its a difficult road for any Dr. who starts thinking outside the box. I know he has more future studies coming up...so it will be very interesting to see the results. In his book, he has a great section on dangers of taking anti-depressants for IBS. Also, the strong link between IBS & Fibromyalgia.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks Jools, I am well as I hope you are also.I still pop in here every now and then. I have had some luck in the management of my problems since getting on paxil as well as the remeron. I'm sure it won't last, but for now fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Popp,-yes...I've read Dr. Pimentel's book & I think its very good. I really enjoyed reading Chapter 9, which is a Q&A Section. He's received hundreds of questions from people all over the country. The only thing I was hoping he would discuss more in his book..is the role probiotics play. He's not sold on their benefits...although he does point out that there have been some studies that suggest they help with motility. You can listen to a sound-byte of him speaking by calling 818-788-9722 & entering code 2494.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
What Dr.Pimentel has to say about C?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi SpAsMaN-Regarding C Problems...Dr. Pimentel mentions in his book that depending on the type of Bacteria involved this is what will determine if a patient has either C problems or D problems or both. Once the overgrowth is taken care of, the symptoms should dis-appear.He also states that this doesn't solve the problem 100% of the time. There are other steps that can be taken to help those people that continue to have symptoms after the first round of treatment.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
quote:There are other steps that can be taken to help those people that continue to have symptoms after the first round of treatment.
Like what?I'm thinking of Colpermin rigth now to disolve C.However,it will put my ass on fire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quote:There are other steps that can be taken to help those people that continue to have symptoms after the first round of treatment. Like what?Dr. Pimentel recommends a type of drink called Vivonex. He states that Vivonex is an elementalfood formula that contains all of the vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids a person needs. He also says that its completely pre-digested proteins, fats, and carbs. Maybe someone like Eric or Flux is familar with this product? I haven't heard of it.In addition, he has a whole diet plan..I think he gives the plan on his web site. http://www.anewibssolution.com

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Thanks i will ask the Novartis representative for another sample of Vivonex plus.I had some problem with it when i took it.However next time i will NOT add the "flavor" stuff that he gaves to me the first time.I suspect the envellop flavor to cause bloating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.