Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've been dealing with an intestinal virus over the past few days. I'm pretty sure it's a virus because it doesn't feel like my typical IBS D which has actually gotten a little better over the past few months. Besides eating bland foods is there anything else I should be doing to prevent this virus from causing the IBS D cycle from happening again?Would taking probiotics help?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I don't know what would help you. I ran smack into a Norwalk virus a few years ago and it flattened me for about a week. Pepto worked ok after a couple of days and it did pass through. Once it was gone, things returned to normal, so if you are doing or taking things which decrease your IBS, my experience is that they will continue to work post virus.Mark

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know what would help you. I ran smack into a Norwalk virus a few years ago and it flattened me for about a week. Pepto worked ok after a couple of days and it did pass through. Once it was gone, things returned to normal, so if you are doing or taking things which decrease your IBS, my experience is that they will continue to work post virus.Mark
Same thing happened to me years ago. Funny, I got over the worst of it in about 24 hours but hubby (who has no IBS/IBD) was laid low for a week and a half. I didn't take anything special for it though I made sure to drink lots of fluids, and within 3 days I was back to my normal disfunctional self. I guess the norovirus took one look at my DMZ of a tummy and ran for the hills.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
hiA course of multi strain probiotics will help out. just get some without FOS or Prebiotics in them and dont take any that are in huge numbers to start with, stick to under 5 bil.cheersIan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. Ian..what is FOS? Also...does anyone have suggestions on when to start adding some steamed veggies back into my diet. So far I'm sticking with rice, applesause, toast and chicken. And my usual fiber supplements.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
hiit is a prebiotic added to some probiotics as bacteria "food".cheersian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.