Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is gonna be kinda long, sorry.I have always, since I was very young, had what I thought was a "sensitive stomach". I was too embarrassed to tell my mum, so nothing was done about it and nothing was investigated. By the time I was about 14, this had pretty much stopped/When I was about 16, I started getting D every night, and only at night. It was accompained by stomach cramps etc. This went away after about 1 year.Then, about 1 year ago, I started to get really C, along with stomach cramps and spasms, so bad that I would be in tears and unable to walk every night. Every few days, I would get really bad D, but only for a day, then it would be back to being C again.My mother has really bad food intolerances (intolerant to salicylates, amines (including MSG), wheat, gluten and dairy). SHe suggested that I tried the elimination diet. So I ate nothing but canned pears (in sugar syrup), rice and potatoes. I had a bad headache for about 4 days (my mum said my body was de-toxing), and no stomach problems. I stayed on this diet for months, and had mild D and C only occasionally.Then I flew to Sydney to see an allergist and nutritionest. They identified all sorts of allergies (not that I was eating them anyway!!), and told me to try challenging my eleimation diet. When I did these challenges, I had very bad reactions, so I simply stayed on the elimination diet.Last October, I started feeling really bad again (still on elimination diet). It got so bad that I was admitted to hospital, and my appendix was removed (no, it wasn't appendicitis). They also checked for an eptopic pregnancy, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, and all cam back clear. When I was discharged from hospital, I was still in excruciating pain, and was at the doctors every day and the emergency room every night. Eventually, I saw a gastro, who has diagnosed IBS, C type, and told me to take softners every night.The gasto said that if I took softners every night, food should be passing through my system fast enough that it cannot cause an intolerant reaction. Since then, I have been eating wheat, dairy, salicylates and amines, but still cannot eat MSG. So, my question is this: Is what the gastro said correct? Or did I never have intolerances in the first place (except to MSG, I still can't have that)? What is going on??I'm confused. Can you tell??

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
kyestar, There are other reasons for IBS other then food issues and I would work with your new gastro on the problems your having.There are some reasons and test to have done that might explain your constipation.One might be Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia which would contribute to the constipation.Also here is some info on testing and such.Comprehensive Overview of Constipation: http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/comp...ve_overview.htm

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
kyestar, There are other reasons for IBS other then food issues and I would work with your new gastro on the problems your having.There are some reasons and test to have done that might explain your constipation.One might be Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia which would contribute to the constipation.Also here is some info on testing and such.Comprehensive Overview of Constipation: http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/comp...ve_overview.htm

·
Registered
23,788 Posts

·
Registered
23,788 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Kyestar,There are several foods that just tear me up. 1. Soybean oil and most other vegetable oils. It took a long time to figure this one out because it takes a few hours to do it's damage and also it seems everything you eat has soybean oil or, even worse, partially hydrogenated soybean oil in it. For some reason I can tolerate moderate amounts of animal fat but have almost no tolerance for vegetable oils and fats. Salad dressing, for example, I have to buy the fat-free stuff and make sure it has no vegetable oils. I can eat McDonalds hamburgers but even a small fries will set me off. Most prepared foods have soybean oil in them. Even some flavors of Gatorade have oil in them (why?). A big, juicy steak is fine. Sushi is great, just have to use very little soy sauce. Forget about margarine, use only butter.2. Eggs. If I eat eggs for breakfast I can count on D in about 6 hours. Guaranteed!3. Cooked tomato products. Ketchup and spaghetti sauce are killers but I can eat raw tomatoes on sandwiches or in salads with no problem. Each of us probably has specific trigger foods that we should avoid. It takes time to figure out what your body doesn't like and since some foods have delayed reactions it can be quite a struggle to eliminate all of the offending foods. Good luck!Bob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Kyestar,There are several foods that just tear me up. 1. Soybean oil and most other vegetable oils. It took a long time to figure this one out because it takes a few hours to do it's damage and also it seems everything you eat has soybean oil or, even worse, partially hydrogenated soybean oil in it. For some reason I can tolerate moderate amounts of animal fat but have almost no tolerance for vegetable oils and fats. Salad dressing, for example, I have to buy the fat-free stuff and make sure it has no vegetable oils. I can eat McDonalds hamburgers but even a small fries will set me off. Most prepared foods have soybean oil in them. Even some flavors of Gatorade have oil in them (why?). A big, juicy steak is fine. Sushi is great, just have to use very little soy sauce. Forget about margarine, use only butter.2. Eggs. If I eat eggs for breakfast I can count on D in about 6 hours. Guaranteed!3. Cooked tomato products. Ketchup and spaghetti sauce are killers but I can eat raw tomatoes on sandwiches or in salads with no problem. Each of us probably has specific trigger foods that we should avoid. It takes time to figure out what your body doesn't like and since some foods have delayed reactions it can be quite a struggle to eliminate all of the offending foods. Good luck!Bob

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
KYESTAR:I posted this explanation on another thread, so it may look at first out of place here, but the information, if not the quotes, are not. This is materil you need to understand to understand how to correclty assess your body resonse to dietary issues in food allergy vs intolerance vs diarrheic type IBS.The most common provoking condition of d-type ibs is activation of the inflammatory response system in the small gut in response to not allergies but dose-dependent, alternate pathway reactivities to dietary components.There are ways to accuratley isolate and remove them so the sympotms no longer are provoked.How the system is amred to show lost tolerance to foods i a matter of study and at this stage is conjecture by all parties involved. There are multiple arming systems, botth immunologic and neurologic.Bottom line though is clinically what PROVOKES the onset of symptoms. Find it avoid it symptoms diminish ior even disappear. It is a far simpler process than most would beleive.Oh, by the way, this stuck out like the proverbial sore-thumb: __________________________________"So I ate nothing but canned pears (in sugar syrup), rice and potatoes. I had a bad headache for about 4 days (my mum said my body was de-toxing), and no stomach problems. I stayed on this diet for months, and had mild D and C only occasionally." _____________________________________Mom had the right idea just implemented it, uh, not quite correctly. Especially the canned pears. You have to eat fresh pears and wash the hell out of them first to get any chemical off the skin. You also need a low-probability-of provocative protein source, so lamb is usually used. Rice is also low probability. You also must take a complete regiment of vitomain and mineral supplementation as the elimonation diet is hyporeactive but non-nutritionally sound.And the headache, while sometimes it is true it as, simply stated, a prodcut of the detoxofication-withdrawal process, in your case I would have wanted to see the label oin the canned pears!One should work with a practitionerw ho will put you on an integrated symptom reduction program. This must include (3) specific modalities:1. well developed dietary managment prograon to isolate and remove any comorbid food allergy, food sensitivity and food or chemical intolerance. Not a lot of people know how to dio this right yet, nor what tools arennow available to them to optimize this modality. But it is essential.2. just as essential is a measn to asess the psychosial impact of the syndroem upon the patient and provide a modality (HT ir CBT for example) where indicated which will address the patients needs to alter perspective and behavior so as to enahnce symptom reduction3. adjunctive pharmacotherapy so as to help the patient adhere to #1 and #2 long enough for them to be of benefit, and thr drug dependency will be reduced as you progress of its own accord.But most imprtant is to make sure that you have seena board certified gatroenterologist to totally rule out several possible organic causes for the sympotms you describe before committing to an IBS disease managment programWhile it is true that a parental history of allergy or intolerance predisposes the offspirng to the possibility of developing the same, it is not a rule.Anyway here is the clip you should find helpful on the specific subject at hand _____________________________Comment:___________________________________"Also, it is my experience that blood tests for allergies are extremely inaccurate. I have found that skin tests are much more accurate."____________________________________Simply stated, allergies are Type I hypersensitivity reactions due to the body forming specific IgE antibodies against something, in this context some "food" or foods.It is 100% correct that most allergy can be isolated from patient history and dietary intake monitoring since they are not dose-dependent, do show rapid onset of symptoms, thus are highly repeatable.Skin testing as it is commonly done for environmental allergy is reasonably predictive of actual allergy, it is not reasonably predictive of actual food allergy. In fact it is less than 50% positively predictive for food allergy. That mean that basically the wheal and lfare response only correlates to an actual systemic allergic reaction to the foods less than 50% of the time, so you can flip a coin and have a better chance of being correct. So all SPT tests which are + should be confiremd by oral challenge. The othter forms of skin testing for food which are a bit more predictive, such as patch tests, are not practical for food unless the patient eats normally a very narrow diet since it would take forever to test each food.But if this is the case you do not need to patch tests anyway since history will yield the allergy.Blood tests for allergy (test for circulating specific IgE) due to changes in technology for modified RAST and ELISA are more accurate than they once were. However, again,for food allergy one must always remember that the presence of specific IgE does not automatically mean clinical allergy.So the patient should have an oral challenge for each test-positive food to confirm which ones are real allergy and which ones are false positive. While this ounds unwieldy, for the person with allergies to things that appear not only as whole foods but as additives (like corn...the extracts are used everywhere) the test can narrow the field of the oral challenges that must be performed.In the general population overall (mixed population) about 2% suffer real IgE food allergy. Among IBS patients with diarrheic or cyclic symptoms, recent discoveries suggest that food allergy exists as a comorbidity at a higher rate, perhaps 8%. This can be seen by those who do test positive by RAST or ELISA for specific IgE and then respond with rapid onset of symptoms to an oral challenge. This is a comorbidity for a number of IBS victims that is frequent enough to need to be ruled out.The figures for SPT and immunoassay testing accuracy are not made up they are common knowledge in the business, and are set forth by JAMA as well._______________________________________"As I said before, it is more likely (much more likely) that you mean intolerances. If it is intolerances that you mean, these cannot be tested for with a blood test anyway."________________________________________Part A is correct. Part B is no longer correct."Intolerance" or "sensitivity" or "term du jour" is irrelevant. You have food allergy, then you have food reactivity which is non-IgE mediated. Fod intolerancce which is non-pseudoallargy is very very hard to detetc clinically, due to the fact that they are the polar opposites of allergy. The nature of the mechansism results in them being DOSE dependent and DELAYED onset (up to 72 hours) so establishing cause-effect by dietary intake monitoring only yieldss the very worst-strongest intolerances. THe rest are missed and symptoms persist aand dietary logging shows no discernable pattern.In that class the reactions which cannot be detected by either allergy tests or in vitro assya for food or chemical sensivitity are reactions which occur due to enzyme deficiency, such as lactose intolerance (and this is easy to do with a proper oral challenge and if real responds to simple lactase supplementation) and pseudoallergy reactions since they are direct-reactions with the mast cells of the gut.Primary sourvces, just for example, of pseudoallergy are from lectins found in foods like legumes. If a person is lectin-sensitive this is becasue lectin can mimic an IgE mediated reaction in the absecne of specific Ige. They cn plug right into gut mast cells cause them to degranulate and produce symptokms which are like food ALLERGY (rapid onset of GI distress, repeatable). Also some foods have histamine in them by nature so the inflammatory mediator is directly introduced into the gut and then the bloodstream without any cellular reaction or specific immunoglobulin.Tuna, for example, sometimes has histamine in it from harmelss bacteria which may reproduce during canning if you don't kill them all.The vast mnajority of non-allergic food intolerances which provoke symptoms in diarrehic or cyclic IBS patients, and patients with functional diaarhea, involve on or more of up to 8 different methods of provoking different white blood cell types to react to some foods or additives inappropiately (ie: as if a pathogen had been introduced).This can be detected accurately by the most current generation of quantitative common-end-point cellular immune response testing,just developed over the last 7 years, by measuring and specific mediator release from white blood cells on exposure to provocation in vitro. Nothing should happen since food is not pathogenic. Healthy people do not release mediators, symtomatic people do. The inflammatory mediators cause symptoms. This is one of several mechanisms whereby the inflammatory response system can be and is provoked in IBS d's and cyclics and in functional diarhea. Its quite simple.With the offending foods removed, thus avoiding the provocation of mediator release in the small bowel and microvasculature, and thus the onset of sympotms which are provoked by non-alleric food sensitivities. This is far more prominent in IBS d's, cyclics, and in FD than is allergy or pseudoallergy (which can effect anybody, even people without IBS who suffer weird very intermmittent bouts of apparent allergy symptoms).There is also an earlier generation of in vitro test, developed in the 1980's, which is a qualitative assay that has been in use since the late 1980's which is also clinically useful as it can detect cellular response as well, but qualitatively. The main advance is in technology...we can now do quantitive assay of expulsion of intracellular contents as oppsed to trying to estimate from qualitative changes in WBC character, so its a bit more accurate way of detecting a reaction.Tests for food intolerance IgG and subclasses specific to foods as a marker can have some usefulness, but one must remember this is only (1) of 8 possible mechanisms therefore even a positive will only result in partial relief since it will not detetct the other types of clelular reactions that can occur.Skin testing for food sensitivity or intolerance is 100% useless since the patient does not have cricualting antibodies specific to the food so as to manifest a response. There is recent evidence of specific IgE locally in the small bowel, however, which suggests that another heretofore unseeen IgE mechanism may be one of the several involved in prodocing the food reactivity seen in IBS patients and others.Getting a copy of this book for about $15 and reading it, written by one of the leadinf authorities on the subject of food intolerance, and the only physician to publish bookd for both consumers and physicians on the subject, will help claraify the differences immunologically and clinically between food ALLERGY and food INTOLERANCE, and provide guidelelines for personal management of diet to avoid these conditions.FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTIONAND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and EnvironmentalMedicine, Kings' College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...r=2-1/102-64875 08-3420903_____________________________________"Could this be an example of the brain-gut connection, Eric? "_____________________________________the so called "brain-gut" interafce always included the central nervous system, the enteric nervous system, the immune system, and the endocrine system. They are inextricably linked, interractive and coresponsive regardless of whether We are talking health or disease in the gut.In the case of food sensisitivty we are merely taliking about the inflammatory response system being actibvated inappropriately in response to some thing or things in the diet. Exactly why the 8 or so different mechanisms which mediate this are provoked into action inappropriately in response to food or chemical aditives as opposed to say pathogens like it is supposed to only react, is not known yet.Only what happens in each system, what cells are inovlved, what different types of body tissues are involved and affected, and what proinflammatory medtaors which effect organ function are released...only these things so far can be quantified. Also precuroser events which lead to this system of combined dysfunction can also be isolated. But how even A results in dysfunction B is not known, only the means of effect not the why of effect.There are clear indications from research being done independently from several perspectives that like most syndromes there will likely be more than one specific causal basis thus more than one underlying etiology, since we already know there are more than one symptom-causal mechanisms at work.Eat well. Think well Be well.MNL--------------------

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
KYESTAR:I posted this explanation on another thread, so it may look at first out of place here, but the information, if not the quotes, are not. This is materil you need to understand to understand how to correclty assess your body resonse to dietary issues in food allergy vs intolerance vs diarrheic type IBS.The most common provoking condition of d-type ibs is activation of the inflammatory response system in the small gut in response to not allergies but dose-dependent, alternate pathway reactivities to dietary components.There are ways to accuratley isolate and remove them so the sympotms no longer are provoked.How the system is amred to show lost tolerance to foods i a matter of study and at this stage is conjecture by all parties involved. There are multiple arming systems, botth immunologic and neurologic.Bottom line though is clinically what PROVOKES the onset of symptoms. Find it avoid it symptoms diminish ior even disappear. It is a far simpler process than most would beleive.Oh, by the way, this stuck out like the proverbial sore-thumb: __________________________________"So I ate nothing but canned pears (in sugar syrup), rice and potatoes. I had a bad headache for about 4 days (my mum said my body was de-toxing), and no stomach problems. I stayed on this diet for months, and had mild D and C only occasionally." _____________________________________Mom had the right idea just implemented it, uh, not quite correctly. Especially the canned pears. You have to eat fresh pears and wash the hell out of them first to get any chemical off the skin. You also need a low-probability-of provocative protein source, so lamb is usually used. Rice is also low probability. You also must take a complete regiment of vitomain and mineral supplementation as the elimonation diet is hyporeactive but non-nutritionally sound.And the headache, while sometimes it is true it as, simply stated, a prodcut of the detoxofication-withdrawal process, in your case I would have wanted to see the label oin the canned pears!One should work with a practitionerw ho will put you on an integrated symptom reduction program. This must include (3) specific modalities:1. well developed dietary managment prograon to isolate and remove any comorbid food allergy, food sensitivity and food or chemical intolerance. Not a lot of people know how to dio this right yet, nor what tools arennow available to them to optimize this modality. But it is essential.2. just as essential is a measn to asess the psychosial impact of the syndroem upon the patient and provide a modality (HT ir CBT for example) where indicated which will address the patients needs to alter perspective and behavior so as to enahnce symptom reduction3. adjunctive pharmacotherapy so as to help the patient adhere to #1 and #2 long enough for them to be of benefit, and thr drug dependency will be reduced as you progress of its own accord.But most imprtant is to make sure that you have seena board certified gatroenterologist to totally rule out several possible organic causes for the sympotms you describe before committing to an IBS disease managment programWhile it is true that a parental history of allergy or intolerance predisposes the offspirng to the possibility of developing the same, it is not a rule.Anyway here is the clip you should find helpful on the specific subject at hand _____________________________Comment:___________________________________"Also, it is my experience that blood tests for allergies are extremely inaccurate. I have found that skin tests are much more accurate."____________________________________Simply stated, allergies are Type I hypersensitivity reactions due to the body forming specific IgE antibodies against something, in this context some "food" or foods.It is 100% correct that most allergy can be isolated from patient history and dietary intake monitoring since they are not dose-dependent, do show rapid onset of symptoms, thus are highly repeatable.Skin testing as it is commonly done for environmental allergy is reasonably predictive of actual allergy, it is not reasonably predictive of actual food allergy. In fact it is less than 50% positively predictive for food allergy. That mean that basically the wheal and lfare response only correlates to an actual systemic allergic reaction to the foods less than 50% of the time, so you can flip a coin and have a better chance of being correct. So all SPT tests which are + should be confiremd by oral challenge. The othter forms of skin testing for food which are a bit more predictive, such as patch tests, are not practical for food unless the patient eats normally a very narrow diet since it would take forever to test each food.But if this is the case you do not need to patch tests anyway since history will yield the allergy.Blood tests for allergy (test for circulating specific IgE) due to changes in technology for modified RAST and ELISA are more accurate than they once were. However, again,for food allergy one must always remember that the presence of specific IgE does not automatically mean clinical allergy.So the patient should have an oral challenge for each test-positive food to confirm which ones are real allergy and which ones are false positive. While this ounds unwieldy, for the person with allergies to things that appear not only as whole foods but as additives (like corn...the extracts are used everywhere) the test can narrow the field of the oral challenges that must be performed.In the general population overall (mixed population) about 2% suffer real IgE food allergy. Among IBS patients with diarrheic or cyclic symptoms, recent discoveries suggest that food allergy exists as a comorbidity at a higher rate, perhaps 8%. This can be seen by those who do test positive by RAST or ELISA for specific IgE and then respond with rapid onset of symptoms to an oral challenge. This is a comorbidity for a number of IBS victims that is frequent enough to need to be ruled out.The figures for SPT and immunoassay testing accuracy are not made up they are common knowledge in the business, and are set forth by JAMA as well._______________________________________"As I said before, it is more likely (much more likely) that you mean intolerances. If it is intolerances that you mean, these cannot be tested for with a blood test anyway."________________________________________Part A is correct. Part B is no longer correct."Intolerance" or "sensitivity" or "term du jour" is irrelevant. You have food allergy, then you have food reactivity which is non-IgE mediated. Fod intolerancce which is non-pseudoallargy is very very hard to detetc clinically, due to the fact that they are the polar opposites of allergy. The nature of the mechansism results in them being DOSE dependent and DELAYED onset (up to 72 hours) so establishing cause-effect by dietary intake monitoring only yieldss the very worst-strongest intolerances. THe rest are missed and symptoms persist aand dietary logging shows no discernable pattern.In that class the reactions which cannot be detected by either allergy tests or in vitro assya for food or chemical sensivitity are reactions which occur due to enzyme deficiency, such as lactose intolerance (and this is easy to do with a proper oral challenge and if real responds to simple lactase supplementation) and pseudoallergy reactions since they are direct-reactions with the mast cells of the gut.Primary sourvces, just for example, of pseudoallergy are from lectins found in foods like legumes. If a person is lectin-sensitive this is becasue lectin can mimic an IgE mediated reaction in the absecne of specific Ige. They cn plug right into gut mast cells cause them to degranulate and produce symptokms which are like food ALLERGY (rapid onset of GI distress, repeatable). Also some foods have histamine in them by nature so the inflammatory mediator is directly introduced into the gut and then the bloodstream without any cellular reaction or specific immunoglobulin.Tuna, for example, sometimes has histamine in it from harmelss bacteria which may reproduce during canning if you don't kill them all.The vast mnajority of non-allergic food intolerances which provoke symptoms in diarrehic or cyclic IBS patients, and patients with functional diaarhea, involve on or more of up to 8 different methods of provoking different white blood cell types to react to some foods or additives inappropiately (ie: as if a pathogen had been introduced).This can be detected accurately by the most current generation of quantitative common-end-point cellular immune response testing,just developed over the last 7 years, by measuring and specific mediator release from white blood cells on exposure to provocation in vitro. Nothing should happen since food is not pathogenic. Healthy people do not release mediators, symtomatic people do. The inflammatory mediators cause symptoms. This is one of several mechanisms whereby the inflammatory response system can be and is provoked in IBS d's and cyclics and in functional diarhea. Its quite simple.With the offending foods removed, thus avoiding the provocation of mediator release in the small bowel and microvasculature, and thus the onset of sympotms which are provoked by non-alleric food sensitivities. This is far more prominent in IBS d's, cyclics, and in FD than is allergy or pseudoallergy (which can effect anybody, even people without IBS who suffer weird very intermmittent bouts of apparent allergy symptoms).There is also an earlier generation of in vitro test, developed in the 1980's, which is a qualitative assay that has been in use since the late 1980's which is also clinically useful as it can detect cellular response as well, but qualitatively. The main advance is in technology...we can now do quantitive assay of expulsion of intracellular contents as oppsed to trying to estimate from qualitative changes in WBC character, so its a bit more accurate way of detecting a reaction.Tests for food intolerance IgG and subclasses specific to foods as a marker can have some usefulness, but one must remember this is only (1) of 8 possible mechanisms therefore even a positive will only result in partial relief since it will not detetct the other types of clelular reactions that can occur.Skin testing for food sensitivity or intolerance is 100% useless since the patient does not have cricualting antibodies specific to the food so as to manifest a response. There is recent evidence of specific IgE locally in the small bowel, however, which suggests that another heretofore unseeen IgE mechanism may be one of the several involved in prodocing the food reactivity seen in IBS patients and others.Getting a copy of this book for about $15 and reading it, written by one of the leadinf authorities on the subject of food intolerance, and the only physician to publish bookd for both consumers and physicians on the subject, will help claraify the differences immunologically and clinically between food ALLERGY and food INTOLERANCE, and provide guidelelines for personal management of diet to avoid these conditions.FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTIONAND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and EnvironmentalMedicine, Kings' College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...r=2-1/102-64875 08-3420903_____________________________________"Could this be an example of the brain-gut connection, Eric? "_____________________________________the so called "brain-gut" interafce always included the central nervous system, the enteric nervous system, the immune system, and the endocrine system. They are inextricably linked, interractive and coresponsive regardless of whether We are talking health or disease in the gut.In the case of food sensisitivty we are merely taliking about the inflammatory response system being actibvated inappropriately in response to some thing or things in the diet. Exactly why the 8 or so different mechanisms which mediate this are provoked into action inappropriately in response to food or chemical aditives as opposed to say pathogens like it is supposed to only react, is not known yet.Only what happens in each system, what cells are inovlved, what different types of body tissues are involved and affected, and what proinflammatory medtaors which effect organ function are released...only these things so far can be quantified. Also precuroser events which lead to this system of combined dysfunction can also be isolated. But how even A results in dysfunction B is not known, only the means of effect not the why of effect.There are clear indications from research being done independently from several perspectives that like most syndromes there will likely be more than one specific causal basis thus more than one underlying etiology, since we already know there are more than one symptom-causal mechanisms at work.Eat well. Think well Be well.MNL--------------------

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike, you're everywhere!!!My dietitian (who also sees my mum, who, as I mentioned, also has intolerences and allergies - that's how she knew all about this!) recommends canned pears in sugar syrup (not natural juice) whilst on the elimination diet. If I was to have a fresh pear, I would have had to peel it thinkly and I could have only one per day.Also, I'm vegetarian. So meat is out. My dietitian informed me that there is only one type of vitamin tablet available that does not contain the chemicals that you are trying to avoid by doing the elimination diet. So I took that reguarly.Thanks for the info, obviously there is some conflicting ideas on this topic as some doctors I know (like mine) do not believe that blood testing for food allergies is accurate. They also do not "challenge" alleries. I'm finding conflicts within the medical profession more and more frequently now!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike, you're everywhere!!!My dietitian (who also sees my mum, who, as I mentioned, also has intolerences and allergies - that's how she knew all about this!) recommends canned pears in sugar syrup (not natural juice) whilst on the elimination diet. If I was to have a fresh pear, I would have had to peel it thinkly and I could have only one per day.Also, I'm vegetarian. So meat is out. My dietitian informed me that there is only one type of vitamin tablet available that does not contain the chemicals that you are trying to avoid by doing the elimination diet. So I took that reguarly.Thanks for the info, obviously there is some conflicting ideas on this topic as some doctors I know (like mine) do not believe that blood testing for food allergies is accurate. They also do not "challenge" alleries. I'm finding conflicts within the medical profession more and more frequently now!!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Kyestar,Welcome to the Allergy Wars!
Some doctors don't accept the idea of food allergies at all, and have never heard of food intolerances...It sounds like you stayed on the elimination diet for several months. I'm wondering if you developed an intolerance to the foods on your elimination diet? Or to the sugar in the canned pears?I don't think your GI is right that taking softeners will prevent an intolerance reaction. I'm fructose intolerant and I get stomach pain within 15 minutes of eating food containing fructose. Also, are the softeners he prescribed chemical or senna? If so, I've seen posts here about the bowel becoming dependent on those and unable to function at all without them. Not a good thing in my opinion.MSG is a very common allergen. It's often made of soy, and can also be made from corn or wheat. Do soy, corn or wheat cause you symptoms? Dr. Brostoff's book will help you make sense of this, it's written for lay people and easy to read. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Kyestar,Welcome to the Allergy Wars!
Some doctors don't accept the idea of food allergies at all, and have never heard of food intolerances...It sounds like you stayed on the elimination diet for several months. I'm wondering if you developed an intolerance to the foods on your elimination diet? Or to the sugar in the canned pears?I don't think your GI is right that taking softeners will prevent an intolerance reaction. I'm fructose intolerant and I get stomach pain within 15 minutes of eating food containing fructose. Also, are the softeners he prescribed chemical or senna? If so, I've seen posts here about the bowel becoming dependent on those and unable to function at all without them. Not a good thing in my opinion.MSG is a very common allergen. It's often made of soy, and can also be made from corn or wheat. Do soy, corn or wheat cause you symptoms? Dr. Brostoff's book will help you make sense of this, it's written for lay people and easy to read. Enjoy!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Julia,I am allergic to soy and corn. The softeners that my GI has prescribed are coloxyl... I don't know if that is chemical, I guess it is!! I know it's not a proper laxative, but that it is often used in laxatives.Thanks for your comments!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Julia,I am allergic to soy and corn. The softeners that my GI has prescribed are coloxyl... I don't know if that is chemical, I guess it is!! I know it's not a proper laxative, but that it is often used in laxatives.Thanks for your comments!!

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
K:Sorry been on the road coming back from St. Louis. __________________________________"Also, I'm vegetarian. So meat is out. " ___________________________________Did you ever try an oral challenge for soy tolerance? Or legume tolerance (like lentils?) Some dhal with rice, if you tolerate the lectin inthe beans, is a complete protein and could be used as the proteins ource in a base diet.YOur dietician is probably ocrrect, as I assume she has given you the same vitmins we use there there is but one easy to get brand which is clean. We have formulated our own (the immunologists I work with) and will prosuce it one of these days when I accumulate the money to start production. Then there will be a branded vitmain and mineral line specifically for peiople with allergy or intolerance to foods or additives.As fot the docs vs allergy testing, you touched first on the very root of the problem: the first thing you cannot get past is the lack of training and information which allows some to differentiate allergy from intolerance and sensitivity reactions. They tend to think of everything in the "allergy" context, then withion that context everything is IgE or nothing...and then since SPT is almoist valueless and how to correctly use RAST and ELSISA testing rresults is not often taught, one gtes narrower and narrower in focus until it is understanable why so many have so little interest in the matter.MNLPSI would try to use the fresh pears insetad of the canned pears in sugar syrup especially if you are not asymptomatic on the base diet.If you remeain symptomatic on a base diet with the freshe pears (peel away if you want) then you have narrowed the field again...what about pear or fructose sensitivity....both occur....so one must remove the pear for a couple days and see what happens but do not replace a wuith a source of fruit sugar.Stoneage diets are hard in the one sesne but easy in the other as you can narow the field of view ofr oral challenges.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.