Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the Introduction forum, but I thought I'd post here also. I'm 27 and I was diagnosed with IBS-D four years ago. I had symptoms as far back as late high school I know, and was misdiagnosed quite a few times. My primary doctor had ordered upper GI x-ray and endoscopy at one point, and after seeing the results, he diagnosed me with gastritis and later, GERD. Of course the treatments didn't work, and my mom finally had me see her Gastroenterologist. After just talking to me a few minutes, he knew I had IBS and of course the test showed I did, in fact. He had also told me I had no evidence of any of the other disorders I had been diagnosed with, so that's interesting. I was on Hyoscyamine for a couple years, and it worked well for me. I had to leave my job a while back to help out a chronically ill parent though and so I've lost my insurance. I've slowing been figuring out how to better control my disorder with diet. It helps some, but some days are better than others. I'm also curious if anyone knows about the connection between IBS and allergies/intolerances? I had read something about that before, and wasn't really thinking about it. I've struggled a lot with allergies, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's related. I had a lot of allergies as a child, and in my early 20's (probably not long after the onset of IBS) I began developing hives, and have on and off since then. I did extensive allergy testing, but nothing showed up. Through the process of elimination, I discovered dairy products were the culprit. I found that after cutting out dairy for a while, I could have small amounts, and then later I would have to cut it out again. It was an endless cycle. The same thing happened with wheat products about a year later. It had been some time since I've had a problem with the hives, and they came back with full force this week. I ended up going to the ER and was diagnosed with allergic dermatitis, which I was told is most likely caused by an unknown food allergy. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had IBS-D and Gerd over a 10 year period, in great part brought on by cigarettes and diet. This was presumably related to a low level inflammation. During that period I also developed a severe case of eczema, related to chlorine based sanitizers and chemicalized paper from a lottery machine that I operated. When I sold my business and got away from those chemicals, the eczema disappeared. Later, other jobs which required these kinds of exposure broght the skin problems roaring back. 12 years ago I found a supplement that stopped my D, although it has never completely returned my bowels to the pre-IBS condition. Last year I went on a week's holiday to Seattle. At the time I had been gorging on a daily basis on fresh tomatoes and had a long time jones for almond butter, which seemed to be a replacement for peanuts. During that week, in spite of a particularly bad cafe diet with way too much beer, my bowels firmed up noticably. Upon returning to Victoria, not only did my bms soften up; but I began an eczemic flare which has lasted for 7 months. At the point that I stopped eating the almond butter and tomatoes, the eczemic problem decreased quite noticably. My stools also firmed and became a lot less problematic. So while these are more sensitivities than allergies, I think the linkage is pretty well defined. Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Absolutely I believe there is a connection. If something releases histamines and plugs up your nasal passages or gives you hives, why would it not stand to reason it would inflame your insides too? I drink only Lactaid milk. If we go away and I have regular milk in my cereal, I know right away it is bothering me. When we go out to eat, the minute my tounge starts to burn I stop eating. Then I start sneezing and know something is bothering me. It can be the second bite and I stop. I know the consequences. But sometimes I don't feel it until I have eaten quite a bit of the food and then it is too late. I feel hot, dizzy, queasy and know I am in for a bad time. I then drink water, alot if it to flush it from my system but by that time it is in my intestines.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, absolutely, there is a connection...Many of us have other allergy-related symptoms that go along with our diarrhea like eczema, rosacea, and that welling-up of pain like heartburn.I know when I eat something I am sensitive to, I immediately get an itchy tongue and a heartburn-type feeling.It would make sense that the rest of the digestive tract would react similarly to something your body sees as an "invader" that it must attack.I wonder if anyone will find a solution for IBS sensitivity along these lines...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think there was a study awhile ago that showed that people tended to have both allergies or it might have been asthma more often than you expect by chance.So whatever makes you prone to one may make you prone to the other. I don't think they focused that on food allergies/intolerances specifically.Histamine has roles in both the GI tract and in the immune response so when allergies flare up it makes some logical sense they could trigger GI symptoms to be worse than they'd be otherwise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.