Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I have to say that I was so excited when I found this website and active support forum this morning! I have tried other discussion boards that rarely show any life, but this one looks great! I can't wait to get to know everyone!Some info about me:I'm a 26 yr old female, working full time and going to school for my masters (MBA). I have a loving boyfriend and we are in the process of looking for a house together. We have been together for over 4 years and have no time together with our schedules & not living together. He also works full time and goes to school. I *used to* love to cook, but have no time for it now. My boyfriend has a little more free time than me, so he has become the master chef.
I also love art and all things creative and hope to have my own small business doing something that helps others someday soon.Info about my IBS:From the beginning - I believe that my IBS was brought on by the eating disorder I had for about 6 years from the age of 16 to about 22. I was bulimic. It first started with just throwing up after ice cream, then after I felt like I ate too much, then I would binge & purge. I eventually started using laxatives & I regret that so much! I remember using up to 5 Ex-Lax after binging. I also used to do the crazy cleanses that can be beneficial, but not the way I did them. I finally got help from a really good therapist at my college and slowly recovered. My boyfriend at the time and I went through ups & downs and eventually a very drawn-out breakup which kind of sent me out of control and back into relapse & I also started drinking a lot more, which probably didn't help the digestive issues. I can't really remember when my IBS started, but my earliest memory of having an attack (D) was when I was about 21. That was when I was out of control. (On a side note, when I was with the xbf, we used to smoke MJ a lot & I haven't touched the stuff in about 5 years. I have read some research about it helping with intestinal spasms associated with IBS, s I wonder if I didn't have symptoms before because I was using MJ?)I still drink socially now (nothing like 5 yrs ago) and I try to really watch what I eat & exercise when I can. Over the past 2 years I have noted that IBS-D has been happening about 1-4 times per week, and it doesn't really seem to matter what I eat. I can tell that stress plays a role most of th time, but sometimes it seems to just happen-stressed or not! This week I have had 2 IBS-D episodes, 1 at work on a day that I had class at night, and 1 last night after going out to dinner with my boyfriend, his parents, and my parents. I recently had an abdominal ultrasound to check my gallbladder, which was normal. I also had a blood test for Celiac Disease which was normal. I guess it's good that I don't have a life-threatening problem, but I would also like an answer, I just want it fixed!A couple of questions:My boyfriend knows that I get sick after eating sometimes, but I haven't explained the details just because I'm too embarrassed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to talk about this? Last night I was doing research after my episode, and found out about the IBS 100 audio hypnotherapy CDs. I was wondering if anyone here has had success. I saw that there is a board specifically for this, so I will check that out as well. I just want to make an informed decision before spending the money.Thank you all! I'm so glad I found this place & I hope to get a lot out of it & be ableto give in return!LB

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hello Lucy Bug and welcome - Take a peek at the links in my signature for more information regarding the IBS Audio Program 100. I am the moderator of the hypnotherapy and CBT forum and came to this BB in 2000 looking for help when everything else had failed me - the hypnotherapy was the best treatment. It is not a cure, but it has been discussed on this BB since 1998 with the vast majority of folks getting help from it - and usually as a last resort with previous treatments not working.If you have questions, you can call Healthy Audio regarding the IBS Audio Program at 877-898-2539 and they would be happy to help address your concerns. Included along with the program is a free recording entitled the IBS Companion http://www.healthyaudio.com/content/ibs_companion which explains the IBS condition to others -this would be the perfect thing to let your BF listen to, as it takes the embarrassment off of you and gives the information from a professional/medical perspective. Though you have had some tests done, make sure you have a diagnosis of IBS - though from what you have written here, it looks like it probably is IBS. Foods, diets, MJ, etc. don't cause IBS, though some can aggrevate it. I was down to crackers and water and even fasting, and still had IBS attacks - lasting hours and hours - the first attacks were far apart and I didnt think much about them, but as time went on they came closer and closer and then you do start to worry about when the next one will happen - sometimes out of the blue, othertimes in anticipation of having to be somewhere - so it really is a mind-gut condition, and the hypnotherapy - especially the IBS Audio Program does really help with this...Feel free to ask any questions you may have - here is some more information which may be helpful to you - Feedback from actual users of the program - http://www.healthyaudio.com/content/testimonialsInformation -http://www.healthyaudio.com/content/irritable_bowel_syndromeAll the best to you! Let me know if you have any questions.Take care and know that there is real hope!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts