Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about Inulin? I have been eating Stonyfield yogurt because it is all natural and it is the only dairy product I can tolerate. As well as, it has 6 live cultures. But I read somewhere's that Inulin may not be so good for you?? Side Effects?Just wondering if it could have something to do with my IBS? I have been eating it for a year.Thank you for any information~

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Inulin is a "prebiotic".Prebiotics feed bacteria, and may feed not only the probiotic ones but also any other bacteria in your gut. Probiotic bacteria like to eat prebiotics so that is why they are often added to things that have probiotics in them. However, any bacteria will eat them.For some people prebiotics may increase the amount they fart, especially before they can get the probiotic bacteria (don't make gas from carbs of any kind including prebiotics) established in high enough numbers to balance out the gas produced by non-probiotic bacteria.If you aren't farting more than usual don't worry about it.K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.