Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried Iron pills to help with IBS-D? My doctor said it might help because it can be constipating.Janice

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
My only concern is excessive iron can be a health issue, and I do not know if the amount of iron that it would take to constipate you would be safe long term. Of course with woman this is more of a post-menopausal issue.Calcium supplements are also constipating, and at the level that people should be getting. Most people do not get enough calcium in the diet.LNAPE has some good info over on the OTC part of the board, but typically 1/2 to 1 Caltrate (calcium carbonate) with each meal seems to do the trick.K.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok, I will try to post again...I do agree with kmottus. Excessive iron can cause health problems. Yes, iron can make you constipated but I tried it long ago for D with absolutely no results. With Calcium, the worst that ususally happens to you is constipation (which we all pray for) or kidney stones (which are RARE with us D folks). Hope this posts and hope this helps!Leslie

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was taking slow fe, and didn't find it constipating at all. Actually the doctor told me to stop with it because it can cause stomach upset (I could have GERD- I don't know yet)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your responses. I'll check out the OTC section but think I'll just skip the iron and up my dosage of calcium. I'm starting to panic because of an upcoming trip. The "what if's" are getting the best of me.Janice

·
Registered
202 Posts
Janice, I had read that if you take Calcium that it affects you ability to absorb iron, so an iron supplement is a good idea. The only thing though is that apparently you are supposed to take it at a different time of the day than your calcium and of course both with food. The Mayo Clinic, www.mayoclinic.com and Heather Van Vorous's site www....com I find very helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts