Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with IBS D (which I have had for 15years) I have a very irritable bladder.I have had many tests and have been told it is just another symptom of IBS.I consider it to be my most troublesome symptom as I can't find a way of controlling it. Immodium will control my diarrhoea but nothing I have tried controls my bladder.Has anyone any suggestions?Also what should I drink? Tea,coffee and alcohol affect my bladder.Fruit juices seem to affect it less but can activate the diarrhea.Any help would be appreciated.Melbr

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Well, sorry, drink mainly water, I'd guess! I trust you're taking plenty of calcium and other minerals and vitamins, right? I'm sorry, but I've had various types of bladder problems too and used to be I'd worry more about leaving the house because of the bladder than the bowel. Take care.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Well, sorry, drink mainly water, I'd guess! I trust you're taking plenty of calcium and other minerals and vitamins, right? I'm sorry, but I've had various types of bladder problems too and used to be I'd worry more about leaving the house because of the bladder than the bowel. Take care.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm.....reading this topic has made me realise that since having IBS (Only had it 6 weeks) my bladder has been alot different.Before I used to get the urge to go and I would be peeing for ages, I got nick named "Donkey Man". Now though, I get a urge and it's only half the usual amount, plus I go more often.I'm only guessing but I'd say water along it probably the best thing to drink, it's natures own anit-oxidant (I think
)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.....reading this topic has made me realise that since having IBS (Only had it 6 weeks) my bladder has been alot different.Before I used to get the urge to go and I would be peeing for ages, I got nick named "Donkey Man". Now though, I get a urge and it's only half the usual amount, plus I go more often.I'm only guessing but I'd say water along it probably the best thing to drink, it's natures own anit-oxidant (I think
)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.What I really meant by "what should I drink" was is there anything that can cause my bladder to feel less irritable by drinking it?What is DETROL? Have you anymore info? Is it available in the UK? CHEERS EVERYONE (now for another pint of water!!!) Mel.B

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.What I really meant by "what should I drink" was is there anything that can cause my bladder to feel less irritable by drinking it?What is DETROL? Have you anymore info? Is it available in the UK? CHEERS EVERYONE (now for another pint of water!!!) Mel.B

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Detrol is an antispasmodic primarily marketed for controlling "overactive bladder". It is in the same class antispasmodic drugs used for IBS. see http://www.detrolla.com/ and http://tis-group.org/det_rel.html
quote:Shipments of Detrol to wholesalers [in the US] will begin in a few days. The prescription-only medication will be available in some pharmacies in April and will be widely available across the U.S. by early May. The product was launched as Detrusitol in Sweden in October 1997, in the UK in February 1998 and in Germany and Finland in March. Detrusitol has received marketing authorization in 10 other European Union countries.
K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Detrol is an antispasmodic primarily marketed for controlling "overactive bladder". It is in the same class antispasmodic drugs used for IBS. see http://www.detrolla.com/ and http://tis-group.org/det_rel.html
quote:Shipments of Detrol to wholesalers [in the US] will begin in a few days. The prescription-only medication will be available in some pharmacies in April and will be widely available across the U.S. by early May. The product was launched as Detrusitol in Sweden in October 1997, in the UK in February 1998 and in Germany and Finland in March. Detrusitol has received marketing authorization in 10 other European Union countries.
K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,My doctor prescribed amitryptiline at 10 milligrams I think. which is 1/2 the small pill available. I can't believe it, but I think it is helping me. I used to go all the time-now I only go maybe 10 times a day. I think its also making me a little constipated-so this could be perfect for you. I also have the irritable bladder that comes along with IBS. At the time it was my most troublesome symtpom b/c i coudlnt' control it. If you have to pee you can't relax. I would get headaches b/c I constantly had to pee and could not always heed the call.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,My doctor prescribed amitryptiline at 10 milligrams I think. which is 1/2 the small pill available. I can't believe it, but I think it is helping me. I used to go all the time-now I only go maybe 10 times a day. I think its also making me a little constipated-so this could be perfect for you. I also have the irritable bladder that comes along with IBS. At the time it was my most troublesome symtpom b/c i coudlnt' control it. If you have to pee you can't relax. I would get headaches b/c I constantly had to pee and could not always heed the call.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have had this problem since birth! Way before I even got my IBS, so I know the pain!Things I've done to help this is cut out milk, that seemed to effect it. There is an over the counter medication that I only take when it's really acting up. It kinda numbs your bladder and will turn your urine orange (totally safe though). That stuff really works well. I've had it prescribed to me once, and the prescription name was Prydium. At the store it's supposed to be help for a UTI before you can get to your doctor. So you might want to look in to that.I also have irritation of the Urethra. Mainly the opening I think. I was tested and tested and nothing came back (like everything else!). My doctor said to put a little A&D down there when that acted up, and that has also helped.Hot baths, heating pads, and drinking lots of water also has helped me. Good luck!Jennifer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have had this problem since birth! Way before I even got my IBS, so I know the pain!Things I've done to help this is cut out milk, that seemed to effect it. There is an over the counter medication that I only take when it's really acting up. It kinda numbs your bladder and will turn your urine orange (totally safe though). That stuff really works well. I've had it prescribed to me once, and the prescription name was Prydium. At the store it's supposed to be help for a UTI before you can get to your doctor. So you might want to look in to that.I also have irritation of the Urethra. Mainly the opening I think. I was tested and tested and nothing came back (like everything else!). My doctor said to put a little A&D down there when that acted up, and that has also helped.Hot baths, heating pads, and drinking lots of water also has helped me. Good luck!Jennifer

·
Registered
75 Posts
Boy, can I identify with those symptons. My question, is it common to have blood in your urine with a bladder infection, the only other sympton I have is frequent urination. I do not have the burning or itching that have always been symptons on previous bladder infections. I had a test done, but no results yet. I also started taking cranberry pills in hopes of some relief.Any help appreciated greatly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Boy, can I identify with those symptons. My question, is it common to have blood in your urine with a bladder infection, the only other sympton I have is frequent urination. I do not have the burning or itching that have always been symptons on previous bladder infections. I had a test done, but no results yet. I also started taking cranberry pills in hopes of some relief.Any help appreciated greatly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone.I'm so glad I plucked up the courage to use this bulletin board.I was beginning to think that I was the only one with bladder problems.Thanks kmottus for describing what Detrol is.I have tried Detrusitol as I saw it advertised in a 'Readers Digest',unfortunately it didn,t work for me.Tomorrow I'm rushing out to get some cranberry capsules in the hope that they can help.Next week I,m off with my family on holiday for 2 weeks and I guess you know how stressed I'm feeling at the moment.If you have blood in your urine please get it checked out as soon as poss,it may be perfectly all right but better safe than sorry.My irritable bladder has never caused bleeding. Cheers again everyone Mel.B

1 - 20 of 23 Posts