Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing? I tend to go through phases where I will just get the urge to pee and then I am running to the bathroom because I've gotta go NOW (Yes, like the commercial, gotta go gotta go gotta go right now
). It isn't this way all the time, just for a few days then it's back to normal, but I can tell you it isn't any fun while it is happening!I know they make drugs for stuff like this, but I want a non-drug solution if there is one. It reminds me so much of my IBS, in the way that I have to run to the can. Is this connected to IBS? Is there a way to "re-train" the bladder to cut down on that urge?We just moved and I am having to use an unbelievably slow dial-up connection for awhile (man, I miss my DSL!!
), so I may be slow responding to replies. Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The gotta go right now commercials are for overactive bladder (sometimes called detrussor instability) and it is basically a lot like irritable bowel in the frequent and urgent need to use the rest-room.Most of the drugs for that are anti-spasmodics, which are also used to treat IBS.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Not sure about non-drug treatments. Peppermint might work (As it is an antispasmodic) but I haven't really seen much about that.I dunno if Kegel exercises will help. Since it is periodic rather than consistant it may be worth keeping a log to see if anything you eat/drink/get into tracks with it. My bladder seems to be worse when my allergies are bad, so if you get it after being exposed to a typical allergen kinda thing that would help you know if that was true for you.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Not sure about non-drug treatments. Peppermint might work (As it is an antispasmodic) but I haven't really seen much about that.I think for some people Kegel exercises will help. Since it is periodic rather than consistant it may be worth keeping a log to see if anything you eat/drink/get into tracks with it. My bladder seems to be worse when my allergies are bad, so if you get it after being exposed to a typical allergen kinda thing that would help you know if that was true for you.K.

G

·
Have you ever tried MSM? I mean the pure crystal form of it without fillers. When I don't take MSM I always have this feeling of having to go but I don't really need to. Can't really explain it well, but it's an irritation way inside near the opening that lets you pee. Boy I'm sure good with the medical language hey. ha ha. I also test positive to red blood cells in my urine but no infection. Anyway, if I take MSM I don't have any of that feeling, hope this helps. Google MSM and have a look at what it's good for. I take anywhere from 1 to 2 teaspoons three times a day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was actually diagnosed with Overactive Bladder (i.e. Detrusor Muscle Instability, Irritable Bladder) 5 years prior to developing IBS-D. I definitely think the two conditions are related. The way Overactive Bladder was explained to me, the nerves to the bladder become uncoordinated, and fire too rapidly or frequently. That makes your bladder spasm, and gives you the sensation that you have to urinate all the time, even when you are empty, plus the burning sensation (that I had). Kind of sounds like IBS, doesn't it? The "messed up" nerves and spasms? Anyway, after a whole bunch of urology consults and tests, they diagnosed me with Overactive Bladder. First they started me on the drug Ditropan. That helped, but didn't completely eliminate my symptoms. Then they placed me on Detrol-LA 4 mg once a day. That virtually eliminated my symptoms. I loved that drug! I found that if I took my Detrol everyday and completely avoided caffeine (which was really hard for me to give up, I was a major coffee addict), I was 99% symptom free. I took Detrol for over 4 years. I thought it was a great drug, because the only side effect I ever had was dry mouth, which I got used to pretty quickly. Everything was great for me, health-wise, until I developed IBS-D about 1 year ago. The strange thing was, once I developed IBS, my bladder stopped bothering me. It was almost like a switch was thrown in my body from "bladder" to "bowels." All things considered, I would have much rather stuck with the bladder problems, since they were merely an annoyance, and I kept them under control. IBS makes me truly sick, unlike the bladder condition. Anyway, about 3 months after I developed chronic IBS, I realized that my bladder no longer bothered me, so I stopped taking the Detrol (especially since I'm on so many other drugs for the IBS). My bladder symptoms have not come back yet to this day. Unfortunately my IBS, however, is till not under control. I keep hoping that I find that "magic drug" that controls it as well as the Detrol controlled my bladder symptoms.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have interstitial cystitis. One of its symtoms is overactive bladder. You may want to research this syndrome on the internet. I did not really get the connection to all my bladder "problems" until I discovered what interstitial cystitis was. Now that I have a proper diagnosis, I know what to do about it. One of the medications I take is an antihistamine. Some people with this syndrome manage with an over-the-counter antihistamine such a Benedryl.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Lauralee,There was a discussion on hear a few days ago about people with IBS who also have frequent urination. I definitely experience it, even to the extent that I got tested for diabetes and other conditions that cause frequent urination (didn't have any of them). I chalk it up to IBS. All that stuff in there is connected and affects each other.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the exact same bladder problems when my colon is acting abnormal which is almost all the time.It's just like having prostrate problems. Sometime the bladder problem is worse than the IBS itself. Some of the time it burns when I urinate because in my case, the urine gets so warm, it's almost like hot water I can barely touch it just to see if the temperture is an issue again for the burning. The doctor has no clue why this is happening. I'm at the "end of my rope" with this and really gonna push the doctor to have me use one of those bags to urinate in thats connected to where ever they connect to. That's how bad it gets. At least that might take care of the urination issue. As somebody has mentioned before on this subject said the stomach or colon is pushing or dropping low on the bladder causing this situation and I believe it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.