Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nicol advised me on another board to post this story. In the late 80's in great britain where I attended medical school we classified IB-Syndrome as Irritable Bowel Disease. To this day my british medical periodicals refer to it as IBD. It shows that a disease, which is an unhealthy condition of the body, does not have to be fully organic in nature. In my final year in med school I had horrible GI symptoms in which a complete workup found nothing and I was told I have Irritable Bowel Disease (Syndrome). One of my so called colleages who by the way was a $#&~*+!, thought this was this was fully self induced and ridiculed not only me but other patients behind their backs. I was popular he was not so one day my friends slipped him a bowel purgative one day (without me knowing)and it knocked him on his rear for a good day. The head of the surgical department found out and commented to him during rounds, well now you know how your patients feel, maybe you can show a little more compassion. He is the only one I have ran across who does not give this disease (syndrome) respect. I was diagnosed with CD 7 months later and since that time have endured 7 surgeries, and am doing well now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thank you Andrew for your posting. I wonder why here in the states that doctors do not refer to IBS as a disease? I think we would get a little more respect and help if they would. [This message has been edited by Birdie (edited 06-05-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andrew,Well it's great to know tthat you understand and also understand that not all Dr's do. This IBS/D is not easy to live with and I'm sure some Dr's would wish we would just go away LOL!!! but that's not going to happen.I've resined to the fact that it's just something I'm going to have to live with and that's all there is to it. Learning how to cope and finding something that works for you is the key as everyone is so differant.Thank you for posting it was a great stopry.Haniel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the reason that Britain and North America have different terms for this disease, is simply just lingo and dialect. The Brit's use different terminology then we do and vice versa. Disease and Syndrome may be interchangable there....------------------Jennifer L(Canadian Crohn's Message Board)www.insidetheweb.com/mbs.cgi/mb330438

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Andrew for the information, I too think if they would actually call it a disease here instead of IBS maybe the Doctors here would have a little more compassion, and not act like so many of them that think " it's all in our head" or if we would just "quit stressing out" we wouldn't have the problem, my stress I think came after the IBS, because of it changing my life to the point of being homebound. Yes it sure is nice to have some one on here with medical training that has had the problem and understands it.
Hope you do some more posts, I for one will be looking for them. I think it probably helped that medical student be a little more understanding after he had a day of the problem
Pris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.