Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been on a temporary disability with their IBS or a permanent disability? For the last 3 years I have had the option because of my husband to stay home after working the last 20 something years. Between IBS and menopause my ability to cope with on the job stress became overwhelming. I've suffered two major depressions in the last 20 years. I don't want to press my luck again. What to do??Sassy

G

·
I have crohnn's disease, and it was damn hard for me to get the disability benefits I have now.I don't think you will be able to get disability for IBS! But, if you have any other ailments..Maybe even your depression can get you some temporary disability.With disability you have to prove that you have a certain, progressive type of disability. ...The problem with IBS, is that it is such an unknown still, and lot's of doctors do not take it for what it is.I think you would have a real hard time getting disability for IBS.------------------Jennifer L(Canadian Crohn's Message Board)www.insidetheweb.com/mbs.cgi/mb330438

G

·
Hi Sassy! I am currently on temporary disability. My boss basically told me not to come back to work until I find out what is the matter with me and learn how to deal with it. (I am not sure if it even is IBS)It sucks because I am a single mother and I am only bringing in about a quarter of my regular take home pay. My doctor put on my disability form that due to urgent and frequent D and severe cramping I am unable to do my job. I am a receptionist and it is really hard because whenever I leave my desk, someone has to cover my phones. Usually when I call someone up to cover they say that they can't come up for 15-20 minutes and I can't hold it for that long!!! I don't know what I will do when I go back to work. I am going to see if I can transfer to a different job where I will have more freedom to get up and go when I want and/or need to. I would talk to your doctor. It can't hurt. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I would think with a doctors help we should be able to claim disability. In alot of our cases we can't go to the store without having a major problem, nor less working for 8 or more hours a day! I really don't know how everyone does it. I'm VERY lucky that my husband can make enough so that I can stay home, otherwise I don't know what I'd do. I do know though that if I could work we would be in a better situation. Not sure if I would since I want to stay home with my son, but it's just the point if I wanted to I probably couldn't!Jennifer

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm new at this bulletin board postiing. So I e-mailed a few of you back already. Now I just figured out how to answer you all by postiing this reply. I am still contemplating what I can do about this. It would be nice to have my earning ability back in place again but I'm missing something on how to cope with this problem. I got Dr. Salt's book, "Irritable Bowel Syndrome and the Mind-Body Brain-Gut Connection". I just got it today. I find myself on every page almost. I'm going to finish reading what suggestions he has on how to handle this. I'll give it a whirl. But I really would like to contribute with making my own earnings again. I don't like being dependent, although my husband doesn't say any thing about that. Thanks for all your input. It really is helping me. It helps to know that others are dealing with the same problems I am dealing with. Thanks again,Sassy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.