Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see this alot and have always thought that I have a bunch of trigger foods. I guess if someone is truly Lactose intolerant milk products would be a trigger. But if your body allows to eat a certain food one day with no problem and gives you D when you eat the same food the next week, I don't think you can call it a trigger food. Eggs and sausage or bacon sets me off every time, but I remember a day when I could eat this food on a regular basis at home or on the road without a second thought. So is this a trigger food or is there something else going on that needs to be diagnosed? Bacon and sausage tend to be greasy foods, for that matter so are fried eggs, what would cause a person to be intolerant to greasy foods? Colitis possibly?I think we tend to make a long list of trigger foods which, at the moment are trigger foods, but I think stress, anxiety, bacterial infections and other conditions have more to do with having D episodes than what food you eat. If you can eat pizza 4 times in a month and get D 2 of those times, it pizza really a trigger food?Any Thoughts?Have a nice day!!
Brett

· Registered
33,934 Posts
You don't have to have colitis or anything other than IBS to have greasy foods be a trigger. Fatty meals tend to trigger a bigger gastro-colic reflex and that increased activity in the colon can be a problem for IBSers. Things that trigger a bigger reflex (fatty meals, large meals, skipping meals and being really hungry when you eat) seem to all be problems for certain IBSers. IBS can wax and wane. A lot of people have the good days and bad days thing which may be stress or other non-food trigger related.Some people find they can tolerate a lot more foods if the IBS is on a good day, but certain foods when the IBS is having a bad day the same foods seem to be much more bothersome.I think we often blame the food when it is something else triggering the IBS. Food is something we can control, some of the other triggers are not so obvious so I think we focus on what we can see easily. If you can eat something most of the time, it probably isn't a trigger food for you (or one of those only if the IBS is already acting up for other reasons bothersome foods).After you develop IBS some things that didn't bother you before may now bother you. Even lactose where you could be tested for and know it is a problem. Some normal people who never have GI upset from drinking milk when tested do not digest lactose. I think for many people they can handle the increased gas without noticing it before they had IBS, but but once they get IBS. K.

· Registered
547 Posts
I'm the same way. One day I can eat pancakes, the next day it will kill me.I think it's the sugar. I seem to get more sensitive to sugar on some days, and other days not so much. Lactose is sugar. Honeydew caused a milk type attack for me a couple times. So have strawberrys. And tomatos.. I have to watch them.Something is going on in my body where I get to a point and just a little sugar seems to set of my IBS... Other days it doesn't. By sugar I mean any type of sugar. From fruits, HFCS, table sugar, lactose, etc..But, tell that do a doctor and you're crazy. lol.

· Registered
23,788 Posts

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Bretthttp://www.ibshealth.com/ibs_foods_2.htm"as well as good evidence for there being abnormalities in motility which can at least in part explain the diarrhea and constipation."They have good evidence that the d and c and c/d is a result of altered serotonin release from gut cells called enterochromaffin (EC) cells.

· Registered
5,773 Posts
Every one of my triggers turned out to be less sos and finally no shows. It is obvious in me that whatever caused the bowel and digestive horrors, now negated, was acted upon by a series of ever-changing foodstuffs. For me, soy, rice, oats and vegetables were safe, everything else was questionable to guaranteed trouble.Mark

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Food Allergy and Intolerances"This difference between the clinically proven prevalence of food allergy and the public perception of the problem is in part due to reactions called "food intolerances" rather than food allergies. A food allergy, or hypersensitivity, is an abnormal response to a food that is triggered by the immune system. The immune system is not responsible for the symptoms of a food intolerance, even though these symptoms can resemble those of a food allergy."http://www.webmd.com/content/article/5/1680_50303.htmChronic Diarrhea: Could It Have an Everyday Cause? http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/chronicdiarrhea.html

· Registered
1,331 Posts
I can eat a happy meal on MOnday and be fine, but eat it on Thursday and end up in the bathroom. So I never know. Hard to pin point what to eat and not to eat.Take careKat

· Registered
4,443 Posts
In the 20 + years I have had IBS and researched about this, and compared it to my own situation, I think that this is a very hard area to track.You have a lot of parameters going on and thus that makes it hard to determine what is "causing" what - and if even the term "trigger" is correct.I a person eats a food that they think is a trigger, but they don't know they have eaten it - then will they still get a response? Many times they don't - it is the learned response that everytime I eat such and such, I will have an IBS attack - this is one parameter to IBS, and for myself, that has been addressed through the hypno program - in my case and many others.Then there is the fact that everyone (whether IBS or not) may have reactions to really greasy food - here in the Chicago area, everyone refers to a certain local fast-food chain hamburger as a "slider!!!" Anyone who eats these things usually gets "D" even if they don't have IBS - so there is that factor. Everyone gets IBS symptoms from time to time, and from eating really greasy stuff - doesn't have to be IBS.And then there are those of us who have IBS, can't eat some stuff some days and others we can - this would indicate that there is no physical reason, and probably is pure IBS...Added to this mix are the bone fide food allergies and intolerances that are over and above IBS, but can also be a condition alongside IBS - so the offending food is eliminated - and the person feels better - because the food is a problem, but is ALSO a trigger!!! So two dynamics going on there.And also the wzx and wane thing of IBS Kath mentions...Sometimes diet restrictions and supplements help IBS - the reasons they help can be on many levels - all of the above included, as well as placebo effect. Diets and supplements, fiber, etc. did not work for me, as I had IBS even when my tummy was empty, or even on a minimal food intake.The literature is full of different perspectives regarding food triggers and IBS - it is a big component of IBS treatment - most probably because diets can help IBS symptoms for some people - why it helps would be interesting to know - could be due to treatment of a specific food allergy and/or food intolerance, a simple or combined food trigger removed, and even the placebo effect.Also is the diagnosis "pure" IBS, or chronic diarrhea caused by SIBO, infection, etc. that manifests with IBS symptoms? And once the infection, etc. is addressed with either probiotics, antibiotics, etc. for those who continue with symptoms, then you have post-infectuous IBS, with no physiological finding - only the learned response - the mind-gut connection that has learned to function with IBS symptoms as business as usual. (Pardon the pun!)Food diaries and symptom diaries for me (after testing negative to food allergies and intolerances, etc.) only served to confuse me, as, like Kat, I was all over the place with reactions!Well, just my thoughts... I am lucky in that I no longer have food issues - but of course, if I eat a whole stick of butter or really greasy food, biology does take its course, as it does for most people!!
OK, I think I have sufficiently confused everyone! LOL
----

· Registered
450 Posts
I definitely have food allergies/intolerances. And they do change all the time, making it difficutlt to keep up.The only foods that are always a no no are blue cheese, cream cheese, and cottage cheese. I would imagine sushi is too, but I've never been able to swallow it. I think that's a pretty good sign.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
We call White casltes, belly bombers here in St Louis.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
I've heard White Castles called sliders in the Midwest as well. 'Cause the grease makes them slide down easy and then slide right on out.Greasy foods seem to cause issues for a lot of people. I don't think it is just an IBS thing. Just for non-IBSers the greasiness is a mild inconvience, for IBSers it can be a major event.K.

· Registered
492 Posts
I was introduced to White Castle .... back...in 1967 by the soon to be husband.....It was his favorite hamburger joint... I think at that time they were 5 for a buck.... He was a Jersey boy....
He took me to two places when I went to meet his family before we were married... White Castle was one.... and another was a place where they sold hot dogs on a bun with fried onion, peppers and potatoes.......Oh... and A&W Root Beer.... had never heard of it... till that.....Today if I ate either of those items... I would be in one bad fix... I think triggers / food sensitives can change... it may depend on amounts and number of times eaten in a matter of a few days... Once in awhile maybe ok... more often then it acts as a trigger ..... make sense... Does to me..
Like the saying ... Too much of a good thing can hurt you...

· Registered
292 Posts
in 2 1/2 years i still have no idea what triggers me or how to fix an attack. i've tried loads of meds, done an elimination diet blah blah blah yet nothing. isn't that bizarre!?!?Marilyn - if it's a placebo effect then any meds should work surely? and it should be fairly easy to sort...just remove everything you believe to be a trigger and you should be totally fine....?

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Triggers can be hot and cold weather or the weather, whcih trigger mast cells, which can also be triggered by food. The weather can effect the bodies serotonin also.Foods, even the ACT OF EATING, which is in part where fats come in.Transient bacteria like leftovers from the fridge.For some even drinking water can trigger it.Stress and anxiety and emotions can be triggers and seem to be very important in IBS.For some even wearing tight pants or bending the wrong way.Lack of sleep can be a trigger.Symptoms may occur even in response to normal events. Hormones can be a trigger.some medication and otc's can be a trigger."We have identified molecular defects in the gut of everyone who has irritable bowel syndrome," he said. "http://www.ibsgroup.org/php/articles.phtml?oid=369100861

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.