Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing about aloe for constipation,but after hearing about senna and it's dangers,i'm afraid to try aloe.Does anyone know if it works for constipation and is it safe for long term use?-Stormy-

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You have to be careful with aloe vera juice. Here's an excerpt from Kmottus about the latex (the laxative part of aloe vera):"Aloe vera latex (which is bitter so you can kinda tell how much any given "juice" product has in it based on how bitter it tastes) is a stimulatory laxative.Generally this is not considered a good long term solution because of the colon's response to long term stimulatory laxative use (gets dependant and then you may not be able to go unless you use stimulatory laxatives).Short term infrequent use may be OK, but you do have to watch the dose as too much can cause diarrhea and dehydration from that."Hope that helps!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou so much for answering my question.I will not try aloe thanks to you.I had a feeling that there was something negative about aloe vera juice for long term use.Thanks again!-Wendi- :love:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
But aloe vera can be wonderful too, actually in many ways, so don't entirely discount it. I will, however, insert another negative. Just the other day, I read that long-term use of aloe can result in loss of certain minerals in the body. So can other things, but something to note.Still, aloe vera has its place, I feel.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Oh, I didn't mean to say not to try it at all!
I used it for a year and it worked very well. Just check the contents for the % of latex. As with everything, in moderation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.